Driving Licence Class B and BE

Old August 16th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Driving Licence Class B and BE

I just got my Driving licence renewed as I will shortly pass 70 and so
looked up what I am now allowed to drive. This is B BE which is all I need
plus f k l n p which I do not expect to need.

I would never consider towing a van heavier than the car, or up to a total
MAM of 3500kg which would appear legal.

I looked up the rules on:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/D100.pdf

Cars B

Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than 8
passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing
vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination
does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the
unladen mass of the towing vehicle
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes
coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the
holder of a category B entitlement, as the MAM of the combination does
not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed
the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

Cars with trailers B+E

Combinations of vehicles consisting of a vehicle in category B and a
trailer over 750kg.

Because this is a FAQ on this newsgroup I looked up what Class B drivers
would be licensed to drive.

So it appears that people who have only got a Class B License (possibly
those who have recently passed a test, after 1997?.) only tow a caravan
where the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the
towing vehicle

This is less restrictive than the Clubs Limit of 75%, but may catch people
out who wish to tow large vans with small cars. I have not found a way
of upgrading a Class B to a Class B+E for these people
Old August 16th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

I'm not sure where you're going with this, Dave. However, AIUI the cut-off
is 31-Dec-1996 and anyone who passed their car test on or before then has
"grandfather's rights". Those rights only last until your license expires.
However, AIUI, renewal beyond age 70 is an extension of your current
licence and so you keep my grandfather's rights. For heavier vehicles, this
is subject to meeting the higher (Group 2) medical requirements for C1, D1,
C1E, and D1E. In contrast, I understand that you do lose "grandfather's
rights" if your licence is revoked and you subsequently renew (but that's
not what happens at age 70!)

I've just spoken to the DVLA who tell me that they automatically add
category B+E for anyone who passed their test before 1997 and that a Group
2 medical isn't required. If you want to retain your entitlement to C1, D1,
C1E, and D1E you do need a Group 2 medical. However, you can renew at 70
without C1 etc. and reinstate them at a later date by having the medical
and sending in the forms.

So, if you passed your test before 1997, your licence is automatically
"upgraded" to include B+E and if you passed it after 1996 you always needed
to take the extra test to tow outside category B. IOW, nothing has really
changed except the need to prove you're medically fit to drive above 3.5
tonnes.

If, however, all you're asking is how can anyone who passed their test
after 1996 upgrade to include B+E the answer is, "by passing an additional
test in a combination that meets the specification for B+E on
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=103"

HTH,

--
Geoff

Old August 16th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 16 Aug 2006 16:21:41 GMT, Geoff Lane wrote:

|I'm not sure where you're going with this, Dave.

False information has appeared on this ng, post 1997.
I am merely quoting the DVLA web site.
Old August 16th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old August 16th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old August 16th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Dave Fawthrop wrote in
:

|I'm not sure where you're going with this, Dave.

False information has appeared on this ng, post 1997.
I am merely quoting the DVLA web site.

Unfortunately, until recently the DVLA were in conflict with themselves WRT
whether you lost your grandfather's rights at age 70. I've talked to DVLA
several times about this issue and at first was told that your licence
expired at 70; your grandfather's rights lasted only until your licence
expired; ergo you lost the right to tow large outfits on your 70th
birthday.

However, the last couple of times I've spoken to them, they've told me that
you effectively retain your grandfather's rights - unconditionally WRT B+E
but dependent on passing the Group 2 medical for heavier vehicles. That
said, I've seen nothing in writing to support that.

Hopefully, DVLA are at last getting their act together on this - but I'm
not holding my breath. There have been enough errors on the DVLA site. For
example, a previous D100 booklet (Feb 2003) erroneously claimed that B+E
was limited to a train weight of 4.25 tonnes. When I spoke to DVLA about
this they told me they would not correct the error - even in the PDF
version - despite it being the main reference to tell joe public what he
could and couldn't drive!

--
Geoff
Old August 16th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Dave Fawthrop wrote in
:

Old August 16th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Dave Fawthrop wrote in
: