Renault Scenic as a Tow Car

Old August 16th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dot

Default Renault Scenic as a Tow Car

I have just purchased a Renault Scenic Grande to tow a Swift 220, but have
since been told that this is a less desirable towing car. Any comments will
be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dot Pymer

Old August 16th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Classic Car Man

You definitely need something a bit more meaty, both for towing weight and
power (unless it is a big diesel). You may find this will struggle on long
inclines or you will use lots of 3rd and even 2nd gear to keep up[ a
sensible speed without causing a backlog in traffic on non dual
carriageways.

Old August 16th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeff

"Dot" wrote in message
I have just purchased a Renault Scenic Grande to tow a Swift 220, but have
since been told that this is a less desirable towing car. Any comments
will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

I tow a Compass Omega 450/4 with a 2.0 (16v) petrol Grand Scenic and have no
real problems. It's true that you do have to work the gears a little on
inclines, but what you lose in torque you make up for in power - I've passed
many oil burners pulling similar vans up inclines.

Overall, I find it an excellent car which is ideally suited to those who
enjoy outdoor pursuits - no spare wheel on the back so you're not stuck with
a silly back-door instead of a hatch-back. Incidentally, how do people with
rear mounted spare wheels change out of their boots without getting soaked?
Plus lots of cubby holes for storing things out of sight.

Automatic hand-brake takes a little getting used to - could be a bit
frustrating for some, but is actually really good for hill starts with the
van attached.

Jeff

Old August 17th 06, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dot

Thanks for your comments. they have put our mind at rest. I agree that the
handbrake takes a bit of getting used to but it's much better to pull off
with. Thanks again. Happy caravanning Dot