Completely off topic ''bank cards''

Old August 18th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Completely off topic ''bank cards''

Some big retailers in my area, for example B&Q, Tesco, Threshers & Halfords
seem to insist on striping the magnetic card even though you pay for the
goods using chip and pin.

Woman at Tesco snatched the card like lightning (all have been very quick
though) woman at B&Q said they have been instructed to always do this and a
chap at Threshers said the transaction couldn't be completed without doing
this.

I feel like taking them on and refusing to let them have the card ........
what is the situation regarding this?

Richard

Old August 18th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Richard" wrote in message
Some big retailers in my area, for example B&Q, Tesco, Threshers &
Halfords seem to insist on striping the magnetic card even though you pay
for the goods using chip and pin.

Woman at Tesco snatched the card like lightning (all have been very quick
though) woman at B&Q said they have been instructed to always do this and
a chap at Threshers said the transaction couldn't be completed without
doing this.

I feel like taking them on and refusing to let them have the card ........
what is the situation regarding this?

I took this up with my bank, Nationwide, about Tesco and got no where.

Please reply to News Group

Old August 18th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 20:14:50 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

Some big retailers in my area, for example B&Q, Tesco, Threshers & Halfords
seem to insist on striping the magnetic card even though you pay for the
goods using chip and pin.

Woman at Tesco snatched the card like lightning (all have been very quick
though) woman at B&Q said they have been instructed to always do this and a
chap at Threshers said the transaction couldn't be completed without doing
this.

I feel like taking them on and refusing to let them have the card ........
what is the situation regarding this?

The situation is that many of them have chip readers attached to their
terminals, rather than to the C&P keypad.

Although they swipe it, the chip will be read when it is in the socket
at the bottom of the swipe slot.

In those outlets, you have no choice, if you want to use your card, as
it will not normally be read by the keypad.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The best defense is to stay out of range.

Old August 19th 06, 05:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

wrote:

[...]

I also complained to Tesco Customer's Services about handing my card over to
the checkout clerk. Their response was that they were only doing so while
their customers were learning how to use the system - that was about two
years ago. Doesn't say much for their opinion of the intelligence of us,
their customers. In fact I believe that Tesco, and the other supermarkets,
believe it is faster for their clerks to swipe the cards rather than allow
their customers to do so. I suggest that those worried about the reduced
level of security this procedure involves, write to Tesco's Company
Secretary stating quite clearly that they will be held liable for any
subsequent loss caused by handing over a valid credit/debit card to a member
of their staff - and send the letter recorded delivery.

Jim