Newcomer Advice on Which Caravan

Old August 19th 06, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Essex

Default Newcomer Advice on Which Caravan

Hi All,

We have just decided to get into touring with a caravan but don't really
know the first thing about what are considered good caravans and what are
not. Whilst I appreciate that a lot of peoples thoughts on the matter are
subject to their own personal experiences, I was wondering if there is such
a thing as common knowledge in the field as to which manufacturers are
better than others and why. We are also doing the rounds of caravan dealers
in our area of Northampton, mainly new stock but some second hand, and as
usual the costs reflect the dealers overheads and margins etc.

We are looking to spend about 4,000 to 5,000 and obviously want to spend
it wisely to obtain a van that is probably, from what I have seen advertised
already, of late 90's in age. We will be looking for a 5 berth.

I have a 2003 Citroen Xsara Picasso, 2 litre HDi, which, if I remember
correctly is around 1,500 Kg in weight. The owners manual states a train
weight of 3,100 Kg, which I assume is the total weight including the towed
vehicle, not that I would like to tow something heavier than the car, seems
a bit dangerous to me that.

Any advice that could be offered would be much appreciated,

Thanks and Regards

Martin

Old August 19th 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Essex

Default Correction on Vehicle Weight - Newcomer Advice on Which Caravan

Correction to the details given in my initial mail. The vehicle weight,
gross, is 1,850 Kg

thanks,

Old August 19th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Hi Martin,

I suspect that your car is a bit lighter than you think.
http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/ci...htm#xsarapic02 suggests that the
2002 2.0 HDi has a kerbweight of 1300 kg and an 85% match of only 1105 kg.
The Caravan Club et al. recommend that you shouldn't tow more than 85% of
the kerbweight of the tow car (or the manufacturer's towing limit if less),
so you should probably restrict yourself to a caravan with MTPLM (max gross
weight) of no more than 1105 kg. Of course, you could get one with a
slightly higher MTPLM provided you don't load it to more than 1105 kg!

On the Citroen website, I see that the unladen weight of the latest version
is 1326 kg (which gives an 85% match of 1127 kg) and the manufacturer's
towing limit is 1300 kg.

HTH,

--
Geoff

Old August 19th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Martin Essex wrote:
[...]

Have a look on ..

http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/

... lots of info about towing with a Picasso