Caravan Weight Limit

Old August 19th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Turps

Default Caravan Weight Limit

My Swift Charisma 535 handbook states:
Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (DECLARED) 1287 kg
Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (POSSIBLE) 1350 kg

The plate on the side of the caravan states:
Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass 1287 kg

Can I legally use 1350 kg as my upper limit, or am I limited to 1287 kg
as shown on the plate?

If I am limited to the 1287 kg shown on the plate, can I get the plate
changed to 1350 kg? Is this what is known as replating?

Old August 19th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Turps wrote:

My Swift Charisma 535 handbook states:
Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (DECLARED) 1287 kg
Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (POSSIBLE) 1350 kg

The plate on the side of the caravan states:
Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass 1287 kg

Can I legally use 1350 kg as my upper limit, or am I limited to 1287
kg as shown on the plate?

You're limited to what the plate says!

If I am limited to the 1287 kg shown on the plate, can I get the plate
changed to 1350 kg? Is this what is known as replating?

Yes. The caravan chassis (tyres, brakes, etc) is actually designed for
1350Kg but the manufacturer has artifically limited it in order to appeal to
owners of a wider range of towcars.

If your towcar - and driving licence - can cope with the higher weight, you
can have the van re-plated and then legally load it up to the higher limit.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 20th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Turps

Roger Mills wrote on 19/08/2006 18:14:31:
Turps wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. I can handle the higher weight, so I will ask
Swift to replate my caravan.

Regards
Turps

Old August 22nd 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John G

Turps wrote:

[...]

Any idea what they charge for changing the plate?

John G