Protecting ones Van? AL-KO Secure kit. is it worth buying?

Old August 20th 06, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mike

Default Protecting ones Van? AL-KO Secure kit. is it worth buying?

I've just bought a new Lunar Quasar 524 and obviously I need to think about
preventing its theft. On reading various web sites it appears that caravan
theft is a lot more prevalent now than it used to be when I last pulled vans
some years ago.

It appears that thieves are getting quite expert and resourceful at stealing
ones precious van even when fitted with security devices or so it seems from the
large lists of tales of woe on the web.

I notice that most 2006 vans including my Quasar 524 have the Al-Ko receiver
fitted so one can use their AL-KO Secure wheel locking kit which at over £200 is
not particular cheap.

1:
The question is are these effective. the idea seems good in theory, basically
is it worth buying this kit to prevent my £12000+ van disappearing down the
road.?

2:
I also notice one can buy a small barrel lock device which is fairly cheap that
simply prevents the van from being unhitched from the car though I've been
unable to find one specifically for my Al-Ko 3004 stabilised hitch, at not so
far, probably out there somewhere, any comments on these also would be welcomed.
In fact any constructive comments on van security would be most appreciated, one
cannot better advice from actual users or from their mistakes/lessons.

Best wishes and thanks to all.

Mike
Old August 20th 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy_R

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

IMHO there's no point in using any security device unless required by your
insurance company.

Most 'vans are stolen by Pikeys, they're experts at it. After all, that's
how they house their families. You are not going to get a Pikey proof
anti-theft device so don't waste your money, just get good insurance and
don't keep anything of sentimental value in the 'van.

Rgds

Andy R

Old August 20th 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Andy_R" wrote in message

IMHO there's no point in using any security device unless required by your
insurance company.

Most 'vans are stolen by Pikeys, they're experts at it. After all, that's
how they house their families. You are not going to get a Pikey proof
anti-theft device so don't waste your money, just get good insurance and
don't keep anything of sentimental value in the 'van.

I would think all insurence terms I've seen require Hitch locks and wheel
clamps.

Please reply to News Group

Old August 20th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:11:41 GMT, "David"
wrote:

I would think all insurence terms I've seen require Hitch locks and wheel
clamps.

CC require only one of the above items.
Bill Lord