Melting 12S

Old August 21st 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

Default Melting 12S

Having just completed 2500 towing miles, I notice that plastic around the
centre pin of the 12S plug and socket is partially melted.

Advice a while ago from Tony Maris et al was to connect pins 7 and 5, and
pins 6 and 2 to spread the electrical load.

Is it better to carry this out on the car side wiring or the caravan side
wiring? It would probably be easier on the caravan end, but both the plug
and socket will have to be changed anyway..
--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

Old August 21st 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:55:35 GMT, "Budgie" wrote:

Is it better to carry this out on the car side wiring or the caravan side
wiring? It would probably be easier on the caravan end, but both the plug
and socket will have to be changed anyway..

The advice was to do it on the caravan side of the wiring, it works.

Bill Lord

Old August 21st 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:55:35 GMT, "Budgie" wrote:

Advice a while ago from Tony Maris et al was to connect pins 7 and 5, and
pins 6 and 2 to spread the electrical load.

Should also have said that pin 5 on the socket is the brown lead and
should be conected to an earth in the car at a place remote from the
socket. It can use the same earthing point on the cars body but you
should not simply connect pins 7 and 5 in the socket. See
http://www.towitall.co.uk/faq/faq1.htm

Bill Lord

Old August 22nd 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"bill lord" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:55:35 GMT, "Budgie" wrote:

Is it better to carry this out on the car side wiring or the caravan side
wiring? It would probably be easier on the caravan end, but both the plug
and socket will have to be changed anyway..

The advice was to do it on the caravan side of the wiring, it works.

Thanks for the help.