Lunar Stellar

Old August 22nd 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Default Lunar Stellar

As it is 26 years since I last bought a caravan (Coronet 13/2,
finally showing its age), I have been surprised how difficult it
seems to be get the same facilities and storage space in a new
van.

The Lunar Stellar seems to tick all our boxes, but I have seen a
few comments about niggly faults. However, there is usually
somebody who has had a bad experience with almost any make.

We are still weighing up whether to go for new or used, and the
pitfalls of a private sale or distant dealer.

All opinions welcome.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old August 23rd 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
smiler

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
As it is 26 years since I last bought a caravan (Coronet 13/2,
finally showing its age), I have been surprised how difficult it
seems to be get the same facilities and storage space in a new
van.

The Lunar Stellar seems to tick all our boxes, but I have seen a
few comments about niggly faults. However, there is usually
somebody who has had a bad experience with almost any make.

We are still weighing up whether to go for new or used, and the
pitfalls of a private sale or distant dealer.

All opinions welcome.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Evening All
We have a Stellar. As years have progressed there have been changes. Some
to sort out silly errors in original design, others change for changes sake.

Slightly wider than average gives feeling of more space. The kitchen layout
gives a permanent workbench.. Door opens covering fridge vents which doesn't
help fridge performance. I suggested four years ago that they hang it on the
opposite hinge, but instead they have put in a side window to toilet
compartment when adequate lighting from roof vent.

Some models have the water heater and masterswitch for space heater under a
bench so that you have to lift the mattresses to get to them. new models
have changed that and they have also moved the gas water heater control and
space heater control from ground level to a sensible height.

The clock can only be seen from the front nearside bench.

I have a bit of fun setting up the van. I have to set up nose down so that
rain isn't trapped by that silly bar across the roof and drips out over the
door. But if I do this then bathroom sink isn't cleared when you pull the
plug. In the other dimension If the van is level the draining board doesn't
function if you raise the offside slightly then the water won't run down the
plughole. It's a long time since I've tried the shower but there is
something about the drain there. When you a parked facing downhill I usually
use a washing up bowl to catch drain water and transfer to a bucket to
empty. Kitchen sink lid refuses to stay up despite being replaced and a
couple of attempts made by workshop.

Water pump switch and running light on some models cannot be seen from any
of the sinks. (I say some because it may have been changed)

Jockey wheel handle can obstruct front locker door, Usually sorted with
minimum fuss.

They are now using 13 amp unswitched sockets. When last serviced dealer said
that they had sorted out the window blind in the door. It fell out a little
later, frame held in by Velcro strips. Jockey wheel tyre now not very good
condition

2002 and 2004 vans can have chassis uprated to 1300 kg.

There is currently about 1000 off new vans but I feel that it is expensive.
I is the van than suits us and our lifestyle so suffer in silence

The only problematic snags I have had have been down to dometic, carver and
gas regulator and the workshop. (How many marks out of ten for replacing a
sink but not connecting the waste)

Buying new from a distant dealer. My understanding is that some bits are
only warranted by manufacturer for 12 months, the remaining 2 yrs is a
dealers warranty which I understand means returning to the dealer. but check
on this. I know that extended warranties are available but I don't know how
that works.

Cheers
Smiler
(take of my hat for email reply)

BTW yesterday___________

Collecting my caravan from having some work done ( fridge and gas regulator)
I saw a Swift Challenger which I would guess was about 12-14 years old. I
stopped the car , wound down the window a little to say to someone who was
looking at it "I used to have one of these, no trouble, sorry I parted with
it" when damsel fly arrived without so much as a by your leave and perched
on the edge of the open window only about 20 cm from my nose. I drove off
steadily expecting it to fly off. About 50 yds further on I met another
couple, stopped and pointed out the said damsel fly to them whereupon it
hopped onto my shoulder for a few seconds, then did a circuit around the
inside of the car and left by the window. It made my day. (Work done

Old August 23rd 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Smiler" wrote in message
BTW yesterday___________

Collecting my caravan from having some work done ( fridge and gas
regulator) I saw a Swift Challenger which I would guess was about 12-14
years old. I stopped the car , wound down the window a little to say to
someone who was looking at it "I used to have one of these, no trouble,
sorry I parted with it" when damsel fly arrived without so much as a by
your leave and perched on the edge of the open window only about 20 cm
from my nose. I drove off steadily expecting it to fly off. About 50 yds
further on I met another couple, stopped and pointed out the said damsel
fly to them whereupon it hopped onto my shoulder for a few seconds, then
did a circuit around the inside of the car and left by the window. It made
my day. (Work done

Lovely. Best anecdote I have read here for a long while. I wish I had
mentioned the snake we met in May, but Smiler, your one is better.

Regards.
Dave.

Old August 30th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Smiler wrote:

snip lots of useful stuff

Thanks, just got to find the right one now ;-)

Chris