Running car cuts van electrics

Old August 23rd 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Default Running car cuts van electrics

Hi all.

I hope this hasn't been covered before as I'm fairly new here.

We recently bought a 2006 Lunar Zenith. All the electrics are connected
to one main control box under the N/S front seat. This obviously has
some logic switching that detects when the car is running and switches
off all the caravan 12 volt electrics except for the fridge and van
battery charging. This unit is probably bought in by Lunar so may be
fitted in other vans as well. The loss of power is a nuisance for the
way we use the van as there are many times when the car and van will
sit for some days without moving. When the battery needs charging, we
have to pick a time when no lights etc are needed. Our last van, a
Fleetwood, had the usual changeover switch and all worked well. When
mains are connected, the van battery is automatically charged and all
12V systems remain on.

Has anyone else come across this problem and is there a way round it?
The only way I have managed so far is to use jump leads to charge the
van (and car) battery directly. This could be made more permanent by
installing a second 12S plug connected direct to the van battery. I'm
rather worried about possibly damaging the electrics in the control box
and should I really have to do this to get round a problem?

John

Old August 23rd 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

John wrote:
[...]

In a thread sometime ago Richard, I think, described a system where
there was a relay operated from the caravan 'fridge supply (pin 6) at
the caravan end. The effect of the relay was to disconnect the
interior lights etc. from the battery and connect the permanent supply
(pin 4) to the caravan battery. This sounds like what you have.

If this control box has a removable cover why not open it up and look
inside.

A manual switch installed to link the battery to the interior light
circuit would seem to meet your needs and still retain the ability to
disconnect the interior lights when on the move should you think that
necessary. I have my lights permanently connected to the battery and
remembering to switch them off is not a problem.

You have realised, of course, that with this mod. any load in the
interior light circuit will reduce the charging effect.

Old August 23rd 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Dougal wrote:

|| John wrote:
||| Hi all.
||| I hope this hasn't been covered before as I'm fairly new here.
||| We recently bought a 2006 Lunar Zenith. All the electrics are
||| connected to one main control box under the N/S front seat. This
||| obviously has some logic switching that detects when the car is
||| running and switches off all the caravan 12 volt electrics except
||| for the fridge and van battery charging. This unit is probably
||| bought in by Lunar so may be fitted in other vans as well. The loss
||| of power is a nuisance for the way we use the van as there are many
||| times when the car and van will sit for some days without moving.
||| When the battery needs charging, we have to pick a time when no
||| lights etc are needed. Our last van, a Fleetwood, had the usual
||| changeover switch and all worked well. When mains are connected,
||| the van battery is automatically charged and all 12V systems remain
||| on.
||| Has anyone else come across this problem and is there a way round
||| it? The only way I have managed so far is to use jump leads to
||| charge the van (and car) battery directly. This could be made more
||| permanent by installing a second 12S plug connected direct to the
||| van battery. I'm rather worried about possibly damaging the
||| electrics in the control box and should I really have to do this to
||| get round a problem?
||| John
|| In a thread sometime ago Richard, I think, described a system where
|| there was a relay operated from the caravan 'fridge supply (pin 6) at
|| the caravan end. The effect of the relay was to disconnect the
|| interior lights etc. from the battery and connect the permanent
|| supply (pin 4) to the caravan battery. This sounds like what you
|| have.
|| If this control box has a removable cover why not open it up and look
|| inside.
|| A manual switch installed to link the battery to the interior light
|| circuit would seem to meet your needs and still retain the ability to
|| disconnect the interior lights when on the move should you think that
|| necessary. I have my lights permanently connected to the battery and
|| remembering to switch them off is not a problem.
|| You have realised, of course, that with this mod. any load in the
|| interior light circuit will reduce the charging effect.

The relay that cuts out all the power to the caravan interior (except the
fridge & battery charge) is fitted to all modern vans that I have seen.
It's meant to be a safety feature, so you haven't got 12v in the van
electrics while under way. But it only cuts the power when the car engine
is running. I can't see how that is inconvenient, unless you are in the
habit of hooking the car up and running the engine on-site for a couple of
hours to recharge the battery.

--
Rich
==============================

Take out the obvious to email me.

Old August 23rd 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old August 23rd 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old August 23rd 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

I can't see how that is inconvenient, unless you are in the
habit of hooking the car up and running the engine on-site for a couple of
hours to recharge the battery.

--
Rich

That's just what I want to do.