Chassis corrosion query...

Old August 24th 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Aiden

Default Chassis corrosion query...

.... our new caravan is currently parked on grass next to the house. A
friend suggested yesterday that it would corrode less underneath if we
created a hard standing (concrete/paving slabs) for it. Any thoughts
before we get digging please? :-}
Old August 24th 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:52:30 +0100, Aiden
wrote:

... our new caravan is currently parked on grass next to the house. A
friend suggested yesterday that it would corrode less underneath if we
created a hard standing (concrete/paving slabs) for it. Any thoughts
before we get digging please? :-}

If you leave it there long enough the grass underneath it will die
off, it happened with mine. So I covered the area with gravel which
looks a bit beter than it did before. After 14 years of parking it
like that I have never seen corrosion on my caravan chassis. This is
mainly due to the fact that in general caravan chassis are made of
galvanised steel. I would not go to the bother and expense of paving
the area if your caravan is ok on the grass and does not sink into it,
it will be ok on the ground covered in gravel.

Bill Lord

Old August 24th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

wrote:

... our new caravan is currently parked on grass next to the house. A
friend suggested yesterday that it would corrode less underneath if we
created a hard standing (concrete/paving slabs) for it. Any thoughts
before we get digging please? :-}

The galvanizing on the chassis is pretty good I live only a couple of
hundred yards from the sea, so I have a very salty atmosphere the only
problem I get is corner steadies & the nuts & bolts on the chassis
rusting. Easy solution spray them with Waxoil.

Lenny
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Diesel Power Cetane Booster for a smoother quieter engine.

Old August 25th 06, 04:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ken

But the damp that rises up from grass and/or soil would be more than could
rise from concrete etc. As regards galvanised chassis, I live in a seaside
area and any galvanising does not last long. Ordinary cars/vans etc. rust
quickly around here. We judge this by looking at council vehicles. Even 03
or 05 plates are badly rusted. They always say to never buy a car from a
seaside place as the rust will be more than buying one from inland.

ken