Whale Tiptoe Pump _ Advice Required

Old August 26th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ade

Default Whale Tiptoe Pump _ Advice Required

Hi
We've just bought a second hand Pennine folding camper which has a tip toe
pump installed. When connectiong straight to the mains, the tap was leaking
into the sink. I've now fitted a new service kit and connected the unit
direct to the mains, but it is still leaking. I've followed the instructions
to the letter and also tried a few variations of my own but to now avail. I
ended up with one 'spare' part, a rubber O ring, which isn't featured on the
diagram (at least not that I can see and there wasn't one when I stripped
the pump down).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Old August 26th 06, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
METWO

YES!

Dont connect direct to the mains !

Old August 26th 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Ade" wrote in message
Hi
We've just bought a second hand Pennine folding camper which has a tip toe
pump installed. When connectiong straight to the mains, the tap was
leaking into the sink. I've now fitted a new service kit and connected the
unit direct to the mains, but it is still leaking. I've followed the
instructions to the letter and also tried a few variations of my own but
to now avail. I ended up with one 'spare' part, a rubber O ring, which
isn't featured on the diagram (at least not that I can see and there
wasn't one when I stripped the pump down).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

The Tiptoe was never designed to be connected to the mains. It was used as a
pump in its own right, or as a priming pump for an inline electrical pump
placed up stream of the Tiptoe, so that water was drawn through it, not
forced through it.

Cheers

Old August 27th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Ade" wrote in :

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Download and read the Whale installation manual:
http://www.whale.ltd.uk/documents/Tiptoe_inst.pdf

This tells you where and how to install their pump, but here's a quick
extract:

The Whale Tiptoe can be used as a manual back-up with an electric
pump provided that:
1. It is not a pressurised system.
2. It is placed between the in-line electric pump and
the water supply

IOW, as David wrote, where the water is drawn through (rather than forced
through) the pump.

However, all might not be lost. If you can find half-inch (12.5mm) two-way
(diverter) valves suitable for potable water you could use one either side
of the tiptoe to rig a bypass around the pump. You could then bypass (and
so isolate) the tiptoe each time you wanted to connect to the mains. That
said, you still need to be careful that the rest of the system can
withstand mains pressure!

HTH,

--
Geoff