Which route through France - around Paris....to Morvan?

Old August 26th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

Default Which route through France - around Paris....to Morvan?

Hi all

Been a while since I've posted here (the trolls had taken over)-
hopefully it'll be a bit better now......!

Ok, I'm off to Morvan National Park in France - about 150 miles south
of Paris - just off the A6. I've been to France many times with the
van - but normally to the Alps - and am a little worried about the
route which skirts Paris.

I'll arrive at Calais - then am planning to use the A16 to Paris -
skirt around the city to the East - then pick up the A6 to the south
of the city.

Could anyone advise me on what the route is like? Is it like the M25
(being a motorway standard road aroud Paris) - or is similar to a dual
carriageway? Is it well signposted (although I have satnav I still
prefer to have a map book open!!)

Anything I should be aware of....?

Many thanks in advance

Simon
Old August 27th 06, 03:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
flybywire

a chaotic multilane road
the best bet is to know the big city south of where you are going eg
Bordeaux and follow the sign till you escape Paris

Old August 27th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Simon,

Why go near Paris at all? We would go south to around
Chalons-en-Champagne, then head south west into northern Burgundy. Mind
you, coming from Scotland, we give Dover a miss as well.

Our route from Zeebrugge (as in this last year) would be Signy
l'Abbaye, Tonnerre, and La Charite-sur-Loire, each of which has good
camp sites and restaurants, as well as being interesting locations in
themselves.

Signy is close to WW1 battlefields and the all-too-frequent cemetries,
and in lovely forested country besides. Tonnerre is close to Chablis,
but has very good Chardonnat-based wine of its own. At La Charite there
is a fascinating cathedral, of the Cluniac order and significant in the
pilgrimage routes from Europe to Santiago de Compostela, and a splendid
ancient bridge over the Loire. If you're into white wine, Sancerre is
maybe 20k northwest of La Charite.

If you're into white wine, you'll know that Chablis and Sancerre each
are world-renowned centres of the art, making superb wines before the
New World ever heard of them...and making superb wines still -
especially good being free of the all-pervasive American oak.

Paris? Paris is a great city to visit, but don't go near it with a
caravan!

Best wishes.

Robbie T