Pastic water.

Old August 26th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

Default Pastic water.

We use a whistling kettle which has very little plastic to it but the water
when cooled down (for getting rid of any odd bugs we're not used to) tastes
as though it's plasticy if you see what I mean.

I know waters supposed to be good all over but having done a week in Burnham
on Sea we all got bad guts at various times which was linked specifically to
drinking the tap water rather than bottled.

So whats the deal with boiling water, is it just a freak kettle?

Lee D

Old August 26th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

"Lee_D" wrote in message
We use a whistling kettle which has very little plastic to it but the
water when cooled down (for getting rid of any odd bugs we're not used to)
tastes as though it's plasticy if you see what I mean.

I know waters supposed to be good all over but having done a week in
Burnham on Sea we all got bad guts at various times which was linked
specifically to drinking the tap water rather than bottled.

So whats the deal with boiling water, is it just a freak kettle?

Lee D

We, in common with many people I know, never use our caravan water system
for drinking. We either fill a separate small water container from the
drinking water source onsite or buy bottles. The first year we had it I
sterilised the whole system with Milton, but the water still seemed a bit
plasticky.

We use a 'gas' kettle with a whistle. It is almost all metal.

Neb

Old August 27th 06, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:36:32 +0100, "Lee_D"
wrote:

|We use a whistling kettle which has very little plastic to it but the water
|when cooled down (for getting rid of any odd bugs we're not used to) tastes
|as though it's plasticy if you see what I mean.
|
|I know waters supposed to be good all over but having done a week in Burnham
|on Sea we all got bad guts at various times which was linked specifically to
|drinking the tap water rather than bottled.
|
|So whats the deal with boiling water, is it just a freak kettle?

Mains water from taps on campsites is like all mains water by definition
potable. You are very unlikely to catch anything from that. People are
careful about water containers, so bugs are unlikely to survive in *any*
water even on a camp site.

Bottled water is a confidence trick in regard to bacteria. There are more
bacteria in bottled water than mains water, even though both should be OK
to drink.

A more likely problem is that people, especially the cook, do not wash
their hands as frequently when camping, so any bug goes round the family
with a short delay between start dates due the incubation time of that bug.

Another problem will be the lack of a fridge, so bugs brew up in the food
at high temperatures, rather than being kept in check by the low
temperature in a fridge.

Lack of general hygiene will be another problem.

IME this is, overall, a minor problem, and will not happen next time.
Old August 27th 06, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old August 27th 06, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old August 27th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

Dave Fawthrop uttered summat
worrerz funny about:
wrote:

[...]

They must be good bugs then as we've had no problem when only drinking
bottled.

A more likely problem is that people, especially the cook, do not wash
their hands as frequently when camping, so any bug goes round the
family with a short delay between start dates due the incubation time
of that bug.

Having worked in proffesional Kitchens I'm quite Au fait with cooking
hygiene so this can be eliminated.

Another problem will be the lack of a fridge, so bugs brew up in the
food at high temperatures, rather than being kept in check by the low
temperature in a fridge.

We have a fully functional fridge.

Lack of general hygiene will be another problem.

No hygiene is not the issue but thanks for the suggestion all the same.
IME this is, overall, a minor problem, and will not happen next time.

Lets hope so.

So any comment on the Kettle or is that Dirty too?

The fact is that any water drunk straigh from the tap (in the caravan)
doesn't taste of plastic. Only when boiled and then cooled down. The Kettle
is used on gas and the only plastic is the sprung lid and the handle the
latter of which has bno internal contact with the water.

Lee D