Are Tyre bands worth fitting. ie. are they worth the expense

Old August 27th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mike

Default Are Tyre bands worth fitting. ie. are they worth the expense

I have never used the Tyron Bands as they were not around when I was last
towing.. at least I don't think so.

Are they really as effective as some dealers state, I know that most times when
you get a flat on a van the result is often a scrap tyre, do these bands
actually help in bringing the van to a stop safely when one gets a flat.

IOW are they worth the money having them fitted,,, anyone had any first hand
experiences when using them?

Mike

Old August 28th 06, 06:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:23:19 GMT, mike wrote:

|I have never used the Tyron Bands as they were not around when I was last
|towing.. at least I don't think so.
|
|Are they really as effective as some dealers state, I know that most times when
|you get a flat on a van the result is often a scrap tyre, do these bands
|actually help in bringing the van to a stop safely when one gets a flat.
|
|IOW are they worth the money having them fitted,,, anyone had any first hand
|experiences when using them?

If you insure with CCC definitely yes! They give 10% discount.
I have them, but still to use them in anger :-(
Old August 28th 06, 06:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old August 28th 06, 06:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old August 28th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Frosty

IOW are they worth the money having them fitted,,, anyone had any
first hand experiences when using them?

Two year old tyre burst at a modest 50mph on motorway. By the time we got on
to the hard shoulder it had shredded and ripped through the wheel arch and
destroyed a cupboard! I wouldn't now tow without them.

--
Best Regards,
Bill Frost.

Old August 28th 06, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:35:48 GMT, "Frosty" wrote:

IOW are they worth the money having them fitted,,, anyone had any
first hand experiences when using them?

Two year old tyre burst at a modest 50mph on motorway. By the time we got on
to the hard shoulder it had shredded and ripped through the wheel arch and
destroyed a cupboard! I wouldn't now tow without them.

That always appears to happen when you get burst van tyre, it's
happened to me twice. The tyre shredding is caused due to running with
the tyre flat. Biggest problem is knowing when you have a flat with a
stabiliser you often don't realise you v'e got one, both times when it
happened to me I was unaware until I heard the dreaded 'thrap, thrap'
noise buy then it's too late.
I don't see how Tyron bands would help as they are designed to stop
the tyre coming off the rim not going to do much once it's shredded.

Lenny
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Diesel Power Cetane Booster for a smoother quieter engine.