GPS for walking and caravanning

Old August 28th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeff

Default GPS for walking and caravanning

Hello

I know GPS systems have probably been done to death on the group recently,
but I was wondering if any systems could be used for both car navigation
(particularly important with the caravan attached) and walking.

I was recently completely lost in the clouds near the top of Scafell and
could really have benefited from a GPS system. However another lost soul
(there were quite a few wondering around like ghosts in the mist) told me
that most GPS systems are not very good in clouds - is that the case?

Any comments/recommendations would be very welcome.

Thanls
Jeff

Old August 28th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Jeff wrote:

that most GPS systems are not very good in clouds - is that the case?

Rubbish!

They're not good amongst tall buildings, in many steep-sided gorges,
very heavily wooded ground, in tunnels etc. - but in the open in
cloud, fine.

Old August 28th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hello

I know GPS systems have probably been done to death on the group recently,
but I was wondering if any systems could be used for both car navigation
(particularly important with the caravan attached) and walking.

I was recently completely lost in the clouds near the top of Scafell and
could really have benefited from a GPS system. However another lost soul
(there were quite a few wondering around like ghosts in the mist) told me
that most GPS systems are not very good in clouds - is that the case?

Any comments/recommendations would be very welcome.

Thanls
Jeff

Hi Jeff

I use GPS extensively for walking and car use, but I use 2 different
systems. I find that the ones that are used for walking aren't much good
for cars and vice versa (not that I've used all of them of course but the
requirements for motoring and mountain walking are very different). Since
you appear to be a serious walker, I doubt any car system would be suitable
even if it claimed to have a dual use

Considering how much they've dropped in price recently, consider getting
both. If you can't afford both, get the walking one first, since that's a
safety issue, then get the car one later

GPS systems work perfectly well in clouds. Although I still take a map and
compass with me, I now rely almost totally on my GPS for navigation. It's
superb, and it makes the walking more enjoyable. Most of my walking in done
in the winter in the Peak District on Kinder Scout and Bleaklow, which are
almost always foggy for at least part of each day in winter

If you get one, I recommend you get one that is capable of saving routes and
tracks. Some can only save individual waypoints. That's perfectly OK for
navigational use, but being able to save tracks and routes is more
convenient

At a quick glance, the Garmin GPS 72 seems to do the trick, at just over
100

Pete

Old August 28th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

Dougal DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk uttered summat worrerz
funny about:
Jeff wrote:

that most GPS systems are not very good in clouds - is that the case?

Rubbish!

They're not good amongst tall buildings, in many steep-sided gorges,
very heavily wooded ground, in tunnels etc. - but in the open in
cloud, fine.

Yep utter tosh. They work in the UK and it's covered with cloud 340 days of
the year.

I use a Mio 168 with Medion Navigator for the road stuff.

Memory Map on the same PDA for the off road stuff - Basically you upload the
map you are doing from your laptop / PC and you then see it and your
location on the screen. You can even use aerial (sp?) photographs if you
like instead of maps. Definately the muts nuts.

But neither will stop you driving / walking off a cliff so a good walking
stick in the real heavy mist and fog would be essential.

Lee D