Vauxhall omega

Old August 29th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Baz

Default Vauxhall omega

Hi
Wonder if anyone can help/advise please.

Thinking of getting a 2.5 automatic vauxhall omega to tow van with (petrol).

I know kerb weight is 1600+ kgs and think that when van is loaded to tow
I can go to about 1300 kgs ,so should be ok as re weights (but will be
asking more
Q's regards towing//loading @ a later date from you kind people ).

What I wish to ask is -does anyone in the group tow with a omega ???and
thoughts
of car towing please.

Also as the car has a *automatic gearbox *does it come with a oil cooler
fitted as standard
please?? anyone know.

Many thanks.

Barry.

And most important to me is as the omega I wish to buy has got a
**automatic gearbox**

Old August 29th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bob

"Baz" wrote in message
[...]

__________________________________

I did consider getting a Omega, and I was pleased with the spec etc I would
have got for my money, but after reading the forums and reviews on them I
was put off, seems they are not very reliable, the auto box would not put me
off tho, I tow with a auto and tbh I dont think I will ever go back to
manual, it makes towing sooooo much easier, no stalling on hill starts, no
jerking away from lights or having to drop down gears to negiotate
roundabouts etc...it's all done for you, leaving you in a stress free
situation
If the Omega is definatly the car you want, I suggest you really do look
into the pros and cons Re servicing and mechanical failure...if you still
want one..go for it... I ended up getting a Mitsubishi Pajero, which is the
best tow car I have ever had...in fact, the best car I have had, it is VERY
comfortable, Better spec than the UK Shogun, and has a boot you cant fill

it also has a oil cooler built in, tho the 2.8 Turbo Diesel Intercooler
engine doesnt give great mpg, 23/25 solo and 27/30 on a run, less if you are
towing of course, at the end of the dy, it is all about personal
prefferences, and I hope you get the car you want and suits your needs.

Bob

Old August 29th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno-Hoo!

"Baz" wrote in message
Hi
Wonder if anyone can help/advise please.

Thinking of getting a 2.5 automatic vauxhall omega to tow van with
(petrol).

I know kerb weight is 1600+ kgs and think that when van is loaded to tow
I can go to about 1300 kgs ,so should be ok as re weights (but will be
asking more
Q's regards towing//loading @ a later date from you kind people ).

What I wish to ask is -does anyone in the group tow with a omega ???and
thoughts
of car towing please.

Also as the car has a *automatic gearbox *does it come with a oil cooler
fitted as standard
please?? anyone know.

I towed with a 2.0 auto Omega a few years ago. In many ways I liked the car
very much but........................it was the most unreliable car I have
every owned. It was two years old with 15k miles on the clock when I bought
it, but it would be simpler to list the things that 'didn't' go wrong with
it! Oxygen sensors, crankshaft sensors, cam-belt rollers, alternator, water
pump, differential oil seal, idle air control valve, etc. All failed and
required replacing within the two year period I owned the car.

I would also make a couple of general points on tow-cars. If you can, get a
diesel - the torque characteristics make towing so much more relaxing (and
economical) than a petrol engine. Climbing hills with a petrol auto and
caravan behind and you will find that the gearbox will change down to a very
low gear and the engine will scream 'til you get to the top. This just
doesn't happen with a diesel - the higher torque enables the gearbox to hang
onto a higher gear and make hill climbing that much more relaxed and
peaceful.

The Omega is designed so that the aircon will switch off whenever the engine
is working hard. This meant that it was off for most of the time when towing
up hill - even mild gradients! My current tow-car (Rover 75 diesel auto)
had no problem coping with the climate control and towing up hills together!

It's up to you, of course, and I've no doubt that there are many happy Omega
owners out there - but I wouldn't buy one! I would recommend a good diesel
auto tow-car.

Kev

Old August 29th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GrahamW

Baz wrote:
Hi
Wonder if anyone can help/advise please.

Thinking of getting a 2.5 automatic vauxhall omega to tow van with
(petrol).
I know kerb weight is 1600+ kgs and think that when van is loaded to
tow I can go to about 1300 kgs ,so should be ok as re weights (but will
be asking more
Q's regards towing//loading @ a later date from you kind people ).

What I wish to ask is -does anyone in the group tow with a omega
???and thoughts
of car towing please.

Also as the car has a *automatic gearbox *does it come with a oil
cooler fitted as standard
please?? anyone know.

Many thanks.

Barry.

And most important to me is as the omega I wish to buy has got a
**automatic gearbox**

Hi Baz,
I must be one of the few who has had an Omega with very few problems. I
bought the 2.5 V6 petrol with 60k on the clock and it now has 120k on it and
doesn't burn a drop of oil. Make sure you use the recomended semi-synthetic
oil, it does make a difference.
Without a doubt it is the best towcar I have owned. The sheer mass of the
thing gives a very stable ride when towing and the auto box ( with built in
oil cooler) is just a pleasure to dirve. Couple this with rear wheel drive
and you have got an excellent towcar.
One problem I had, pulling to the left all the time, wasn't fixed by
tracking, which appears to be a dark art in itself. I read on another group
that putting the front wheels on the back and vice versa may cure it. For me
it worked, go figure.
The only other problem I have had is leaking oil from the engine oil cooler
which is mounted on the engine between the two banks of cylinders. Easily
fixed by replacing six rubber seals but half the top end of the engine had
to be dismantled to get to them!
I am currently looking for another Omega but this one will have to be a
Diesel as fuel consumption when towing is only ~19mpg, but the replacement
will certainly be an automatic.
HTH, Graham