lightweight caravans

Old September 15th 03, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Marie Bassford

Default lightweight caravans

Hi,

Bought a fab lightweight caravan recently - a 1985 Compass Echo 340 2-berth
and am interested if anyone here has ever had one? I can't find any info on
the web about them at all. It's 11' and weights just 515kg unladen, MGW
660kg.

I've seen the Freedom web site but they seem to weigh more than mine. I've
now found myself obsessed with trying to find the lightest 'vans around.
Spent hours searching our local dealers... but found none lighter (or as
light as) than mine . Can anyone prove me wrong?

Thanks,
Marie

Old September 16th 03, 01:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

The name of the 'van tells you it's length in centimetres (or 3.4 metres) which
is 11foot 0.6 inches. My 13 foot Lunar Clubman 400/2 has an MGW of 1100 kg (1.08
tons, or 1.1 metric tonnes). However it is quite fully equipped. From your
figures you have a small loading margin (660 - 515 = 145 kg) whereas my loading
margin is around 400 to 500 kg. From what I remember of the Compass vans of
that year they were a good towing van with few vices. I think Compass have been
taken over or else ceased trading. They were a good van for layout and quality
of furnishings and finish. Good to hear that it has not gone to the "great
scrappy in the sky" and with TLC will last you for many a year to come.

Cheers, Peter.

"Marie Bassford" wrote in message
: Hi,
:

Old September 16th 03, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ali

I have a Silverline Nova, I am not sure of the weights, I must check, but
it's very very light indeed. I too have become very interested in
lightweight vans. There is a website link to a lightweight caravan club
(from caravanninglinks, I think) but the link is dead. I wonder if such a
club still exists.

Having not 'bumped into' an Eriba Puck on site yet (although there is one on
my route to work), I generally have the smallest van on site at every event
I go to. Mine is 10 foot by 5'8" (excluding drawbar). I guess some of the
folders are actually lighter.

Ali

Old September 16th 03, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Marie Bassford

"Ali" wrote in message
I have a Silverline Nova, I am not sure of the weights, I must check, but
it's very very light indeed. I too have become very interested in
lightweight vans. There is a website link to a lightweight caravan club
(from caravanninglinks, I think) but the link is dead. I wonder if such a
club still exists.

Having not 'bumped into' an Eriba Puck on site yet (although there is one

on
my route to work), I generally have the smallest van on site at every

event
I go to. Mine is 10 foot by 5'8" (excluding drawbar). I guess some of

the
folders are actually lighter.

10 foot? cute!

I think I saw a new Eriba or something similar (do they still make them??)
in Wells-next-the-sea last August bank holiday. Never seen one before and
was dying to have a nose around it.

I've emailed the contact at caravanninglinks lightweight caravan club -
let you know if/when I get a reply.

Marie

Old September 16th 03, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:34:19 +0100, "Marie Bassford"
wrote:

I think I saw a new Eriba or something similar (do they still make them??)
in Wells-next-the-sea last August bank holiday. Never seen one before and
was dying to have a nose around it.

Have a look at http://www.eriba-uk.com/ for the latest in the small
eriba vans, but Eriba vans are actualy made by Hymer, if you were to
buy a continental version of the Hymer vans the would be labelled as
Eriba.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old September 16th 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Marie Bassford

hadn't realised 340/2 meant that...doh! cheers for info and yes we hope to
get many good caravanning years out of her!

marie

Old September 17th 03, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ali

I think I saw a new Eriba or something similar (do they still make them??)
in Wells-next-the-sea last August bank holiday. Never seen one before and
was dying to have a nose around it.

I would love to have a nose too. I got the brouchure from Lechlade caravans
(or whatever the dealer is called) and have had a good old drool.

I've emailed the contact at caravanninglinks lightweight caravan club -
let you know if/when I get a reply.

That's great, please share it with the group too.

On of the delights of towing a 'cute' caravan is that the people in monster
4x4s towing enormous twin axle jobs at high speed past you on the motorway
generally give you a cheery smile as they do so. I also suffer from gangs
of local kids running alongside every time I set off or come back.

Ali

Old September 17th 03, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Marie Bassford

I've emailed the contact at caravanninglinks lightweight caravan
club -
let you know if/when I get a reply.

That's great, please share it with the group too.

Reply I received is.....

"At the momement we do not have a web sight, I shall be making one up. As
the
club only started up in the last couple of months.
The club is exactly what it says. The lighweight caravan club. Any make or
size up to 1000kg in weight. To join is 8 per year. With 3 or 4 news
letters a year. And about 5 rallies a year. Some weekends & some for a
week."

On of the delights of towing a 'cute' caravan is that the people in

monster
4x4s towing enormous twin axle jobs at high speed past you on the motorway
generally give you a cheery smile as they do so. I also suffer from gangs
of local kids running alongside every time I set off or come back.

i've noticed that too (although not on motorways - still building up my
towing experience on A roads) !

Love it when people point at it in camp sites too and go 'ahhh look at
that!'.

Marie

Old September 18th 03, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ali

Reply I received is.....

"At the momement we do not have a web sight, I shall be making one up. As
the
club only started up in the last couple of months.
The club is exactly what it says. The lighweight caravan club. Any make or
size up to 1000kg in weight. To join is 8 per year. With 3 or 4 news
letters a year. And about 5 rallies a year. Some weekends & some for a
week."

I am not too fussed about rallying, but linking up with people who share the
same experiences may well be worth it. The most recent Practical Caravan
has an article on mini-vans, which rather disappointingly is just a zip
through the geneology of various makes and models, although there is a nice
pic of my van, and it is described as having a luxurious look (ha ha!). I
think I would be most interested in (a) where to get parts (b) sharing other
people's mini caravanning perspective (c) how other people have overcome the
peculiar idiosyncracies of such a small place. The PC article did say that
many small vans were marketed as a step up from camping, and I have to agree
that that's what mine has been for me.

Like most people, I am endlessly keen to have a jolly good nose round other
people's vans and see how things are in their world.

On of the delights of towing a 'cute' caravan is that the people in

monster
4x4s towing enormous twin axle jobs at high speed past you on the

motorway
generally give you a cheery smile as they do so. I also suffer from

gangs
of local kids running alongside every time I set off or come back.

i've noticed that too (although not on motorways - still building up my
towing experience on A roads) !

The advantage of motorways is that people can get past you, so they don't
get all mad and frustrated and do peculiar things (although I have noticed a
certain determination from cerain drivers to overtake at all costs, even if
it means carving you up as they dive back across your nose at the last
minute to make their exit).

Love it when people point at it in camp sites too and go 'ahhh look at

that!'.

Me too! I would like to go to see Tony Maris' tiny kiddy caravans of which
there was a picture in a recentish caravan magazine.

The local kids have blotted their copybook though. Last night, as I moved
the van to fit a wheel clamp, it fell down on it's nose as some b*gg*r had
slacked off the jockey wheel clamp. I am going to get and fit a cover over
the draw bar to keep moisture, dirt and kiddies curiosity off it! They also
left their scooter lying about in the street and I almost ran over it.
However, I *did* enjoy riding it down the street to their house to deliver
it back to tem, wheeeeee! I am still amazed that I did not knacker myself!
:-)

Ali