Further info on the new AL-Ko Secure Wheel Lock

Old August 29th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mike

Default Further info on the new AL-Ko Secure Wheel Lock

Further to my earlier posting seeking info on these new Al-Ko Secure wheel
locks.

I have been informed by a reliable source that in order to fit them properly one
needs to jack up the wheel to fit it as the alignment need to be spot on due to
the fact that the outer clamp is designed to be a good fit for the specific
wheel being used therefore the wheel position is quite critical in order that
the bolt lines up properly with the chassis receiver. May not be so bad when
laying it up for winter storage, but could be a total pain for normal use.

In the end I decided to buy Bulldogs version at £150 which although still
utilising the Al-Ko chassis receiver to function, at least it does not need to
be smack in line when putting the bolt through the wheel spokes.
Not sure whether Bulldogs design compromises any security issues with the
device, though on examining the device it looks as though it would be very
difficult to remove.

Mike
Old September 3rd 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Me

Your reliable source is talking through their @rse.
You only need to jack up twin axle vans to align the second lock, the first
lock can easily be aligned by hand or using a motor mover.

Old September 4th 06, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Me" wrote in
:

Your reliable source is talking through their @rse.
You only need to jack up twin axle vans to align the second lock, the
first lock can easily be aligned by hand or using a motor mover.

FWIW, I phoned Al-Ko to ask about this device. Even though the AKS 2004 and
3004 stabilisers (that require shenanigans to use with some towcars) give
them a history of flawed design, I found it hard to believe that they
hadn't checked how their product would be used. The answers I got were far
from satisfactory and were enough to convince me that the device would be a
PITA to use. Of course, if you can offer better than Al-Ko themselves, we'd
be grateful for information.

Not many have motor movers and you can't check for alignment while pushing
one end of the caravan. So, unless you're lucky, I suspect that getting the
thing aligned might be a little fiddly. Although jacking up a single axle
isn't theoretically necessary, it is probably the easiest way if you're on
your own or if the 'van is still coupled to the towcar. The Al-Ko lady
seemed proud of the security from the close fit and was taken aback when I
asked how you were supposed to align the thing to leave the van for half an
hour or so at motorway services.

She also couldn't tell me how to use the device with levelling ramps, and I
suspect that Al-Ko haven't considered that many caravanners might want
their pride and joy both level and secure at the same time. This device
might be OK if you only intend using sites that offer level hardstandings,
but I suspect not otherwise.

--
Geoff