ALCO towing hitch

Old August 30th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Shuttleworth

Default ALCO towing hitch

This is probably a daft question but I don't mind looking a pratt if the
answer stops me from losing my caravan. I have paid a deposit today on a
newer van and I will collect it this Friday (It's a 2000 Abbey GTS 217). My
old van had a simple towing hitch and I have always used a separate
stabiliser, but the new one has a very complicated loking hitch and I
suspect it is an Alco with some sort of stabiliser built into it. So here's
the daft question - do I need a different towball before I go to collect my
new van. It occurs to me that if the new hitch has some sort of built in
stabiliser, it probably has friction pads - which won't get on well with the
grease on my towball (assuming it uses the same size towball).

Many Thanks

Steve

Old August 30th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Steve Shuttleworth wrote:

This is probably a daft question but I don't mind looking a pratt if the
answer stops me from losing my caravan. I have paid a deposit today on a
newer van and I will collect it this Friday (It's a 2000 Abbey GTS 217). My
old van had a simple towing hitch and I have always used a separate
stabiliser, but the new one has a very complicated loking hitch and I
suspect it is an Alco with some sort of stabiliser built into it. So here's
the daft question - do I need a different towball before I go to collect my
new van. It occurs to me that if the new hitch has some sort of built in
stabiliser, it probably has friction pads - which won't get on well with the
grease on my towball (assuming it uses the same size towball).

Many Thanks

Steve

If you're not sure that it's an Al-ko look he
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/overrun-coupling.htm

Clearance requirements for the Al-ko AKS stabiliser he
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/su...Proddata32.doc

This should help you decide if the existing ball meets their requirements.

Surely it's not beyond your capabilities to clean the grease from the
ball if you wish the friction pads to remain effective - and assuming
of course that they are grease-free now!

Old August 30th 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Shuttleworth

Thanks Dougal

I'm pretty sure it's an AKS 1300. It looks like I need an extended neck
towbar.

Once again - many thanks

Steve

Old August 31st 06, 01:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

No, you only need an extended neck towBALL which mounts in place of your
existing towball. Available from Alko or Towsure. When fitting it make sure
that NO grease comes into contact with the ball part. The ball should be dry
so that the friction pads can work as designed to.

All the best, Peter.