Side panel repair

Old August 31st 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geo

Default Side panel repair

Hi,

What is the normal procedure for the reapir to a damaged side panel. I
have aquired a large (2ft) gash in the side of my van, which has cut
through the outer skin. The dealer says that the repair will involve
bonding a new panel on top of the existing one, but that this new panel
will not be as smoothe as the original.

Is this the best way to repair it ? How noticable will this new panel
be and will it affect the value of the van ?

Old August 31st 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Big Mc

when mine was done they removed the old side panel and refitted a new one it
was as good as new

oups.com...

Old August 31st 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Geo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

What is the normal procedure for the reapir to a damaged side panel. I
have aquired a large (2ft) gash in the side of my van, which has cut
through the outer skin. The dealer says that the repair will involve
bonding a new panel on top of the existing one, but that this new panel
will not be as smoothe as the original.

Is this the best way to repair it ? How noticable will this new panel
be and will it affect the value of the van ?

Firstly, who's paying for this. If it's you then accept it as the cheapest
option, if it's not you then shop around for other options.

It's obviously going to affect the resale value. Would you pay as much for
a van with a 2ft long textured panel stuck on the side of it as one without?

Rgds

Andy R

Old August 31st 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Geo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

What is the normal procedure for the reapir to a damaged side panel. I
have aquired a large (2ft) gash in the side of my van, which has cut
through the outer skin. The dealer says that the repair will involve
bonding a new panel on top of the existing one, but that this new panel
will not be as smoothe as the original.

Is this the best way to repair it ? How noticable will this new panel
be and will it affect the value of the van ?

Ask him to show you another caravan he as repaired in this way.

I thought from other subjects here that new panels were ordered from the
maker but took months to arrive.

Try another dealer/repairer as well.

Of course if it can tell you have had a repair done it will lower the
selling price, and maybe become un sellable, would you buy a s/h caravan
which had a repair in this way?

Please reply to News Group