New or used?

Old August 31st 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Default New or used?

As it is 26 years since I last bought a caravan (Coronet 13/2,
finally showing its age), I have been surprised how difficult it
seems to be get the same facilities and storage space in a new
van.

The Lunar Stellar seems to tick all our boxes, but we are still
weighing up whether to go for new or used, and the pitfalls there
may be with a private sale or distant dealer.

All opinions welcome.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old August 31st 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
As it is 26 years since I last bought a caravan (Coronet 13/2,
finally showing its age), I have been surprised how difficult it
seems to be get the same facilities and storage space in a new
van.

The Lunar Stellar seems to tick all our boxes, but we are still
weighing up whether to go for new or used, and the pitfalls there
may be with a private sale or distant dealer.

All opinions welcome.

Well if you can aford new that's the way to go, its a great feeling haveing
anything brand new rather than a used one.
Surprised with so many makes and models you difficulty finding several that
are suitable. The time of year for shows is allmost here visit some.

Please reply to News Group

Old August 31st 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

David wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote
As it is 26 years since I last bought a caravan (Coronet 13/2,
finally showing its age), I have been surprised how difficult it
seems to be get the same facilities and storage space in a new
van.

The Lunar Stellar seems to tick all our boxes, but we are still
weighing up whether to go for new or used, and the pitfalls there
may be with a private sale or distant dealer.

Surprised with so many makes and models you difficulty finding several that
are suitable. The time of year for shows is allmost here visit some.

We might get up to Hull this weekend, though it looks as though
we may need a brolly.

We are looking for a 2 berth, internal length around 4.2 m, MTPLM
around 1200 kg.

I have been surprised how many vans have suffered from washroom
bloat, leaving tiny wardrobes squeezed into inaccessible corners,
and generally poor storage around the van. How can it possibly
be a good idea to have a narrow wardrobe (which will then get
packed tightly) with several deep shelves to one side, only
accessible through the same door by displacing all the hanging
clothes?

I have no desire for a low surface on which to rest a TV, or a
display cabinet for my fine wines and crystal glasses, far
preferring a worktop height unit and lots of cupboards.

As for style, whilst it is not so crucial, I hate the tacky
"decorative" touches so beloved of many designers, I'm looking
more for IKEA than country cottage ;-)

Chris

Old August 31st 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

"Chris J Dixon" wrote

Old August 31st 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

"Chris J Dixon" wrote

Old August 31st 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

[...]

I have a Bailey and a couple of weeks ago was talking to a Bailey dealer. I
made a comment which could well line up with what you say, I said I did not
think the designers were caravaneers. I was told all the Bailey ones are
and they work closely with the caravaneers of the Bailey caravan club.
Well I felt I must be out of step with all other caravanneers, looks like I
have a friend in you.

Please reply to News Group