FS:2003 Swift Conqueror 610 lux

Old September 16th 03, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jez Harper

Default FS:2003 Swift Conqueror 610 lux

For Sale:

Swift Conqueror 610 lux 2003 model (bought in October 2002)
5 Berth - double at the front, double and bunk at the rear.
Separate shower.

Currently at the dealer being put in 'As New' condition (all hinges being
replaced and cushions being repaired)

14000 ovno

Cheers

Jez

Old September 16th 03, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jez Harper

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article , Jez
Harper says...

For Sale:

Swift Conqueror 610 lux 2003 model (bought in October 2002)
5 Berth - double at the front, double and bunk at the rear.
Separate shower.

Currently at the dealer being put in 'As New' condition (all hinges being
replaced and cushions being repaired)

Why?

On the surface of it I'd not be interested in anything at that
price if after 1 year all that had to be done to it?

The cushions are being repaired because the threads came loose and came
apart. I'm not sure what this shows, apart from the fact that the cushions
were crap. Although according to the dealer, Davan in Weston super mere, the
cushions are falling apart because we have used the caravan too much!

The hinges are all discoloring and going rusty. I don't know why and as I
haven't got the damp report back yet I don't know if that is the cause. I
can't think of anything else it could be though.

If the van is damp, I obviously wouldn't sell it, just kick up one hell of a
fuss and try to get a new van

To be honest, I don't expect to be able to sell it, I really just wanted to
guage peoples reactions to the problems...

....and I haven't mentioned the fungus growing in the bathroom, or the gas
leak

So, are you really sure I can't tempt you?

Old September 16th 03, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Westwell

Shouldn't the dealer be giving you your money back after such a short time
with all those problems?

If I remember correctly did you not pay 17,000 for it and now the dealer is
selling it for you for 14,000?

Is that not letting the dealer off the hook?

Regards,

Paul

Old September 17th 03, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jez Harper

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
Shouldn't the dealer be giving you your money back after such a short time
with all those problems?

If I remember correctly did you not pay 17,000 for it and now the dealer

is
selling it for you for 14,000?

Is that not letting the dealer off the hook?

Yes, I think the dealer should be giving me my money back after such a short
time with these problems, but unfortunately they are not under any legal
obligation to do so. The only obligation they have is to keep fixing any
problems while the van is still under warranty. I have spoken to Swift and
they say (very politely) that it is up to the dealer if a refund is given or
the van replaced for a new one.

So far, the response I have got from the dealer is that the damage to the
cushions is due to us using the van too much, and that he doesn't want to
sell me another van because he doesn't think I will be a satisfied customer!

I bought it for 17,500, and the dealer has offered to buy it back for
12,000.

I don't want to let the dealer off the hook, but there is not really alot I
can do. I was sorely tempted to swerve to sharpely round a corner on a
deserted country road and make it fall over so I could just claim on the
insurance

This all might change if it turns out that the van is damp of course, and if
it isn't I'd like to know how fungus can grow and hinges go rusty without
the presence of moisture!

Old September 17th 03, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:03:20 GMT, "Jez Harper"
wrote:

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message

Is that not letting the dealer off the hook?

Yes, I think the dealer should be giving me my money back after such a short
time with these problems, but unfortunately they are not under any legal
obligation to do so. The only obligation they have is to keep fixing any
problems while the van is still under warranty.

Not so. Under the Sale of Goods Act (as amended) the dealer is liable
for all design and manufacturing defects in the 'van for up to six
years after you purchase it. The manufacturer's warranty is in
addition to these statutary rights.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides...w/index2.shtml

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old September 17th 03, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jez Harper

wrote:

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message

Is that not letting the dealer off the hook?

Yes, I think the dealer should be giving me my money back after such a

short
time with these problems, but unfortunately they are not under any legal
obligation to do so. The only obligation they have is to keep fixing any
problems while the van is still under warranty.

Not so. Under the Sale of Goods Act (as amended) the dealer is liable
for all design and manufacturing defects in the 'van for up to six
years after you purchase it. The manufacturer's warranty is in
addition to these statutary rights.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides...w/index2.shtml

but they are still only obliged to repair the faults and not to replace or
refund the van?

It is good to know that they have to keep repairing it for 6 years.

Old September 17th 03, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Smk

wrote:

[...]

I'm surprised that Swift are not taking steps to sort this out. (OK, I
suppose that I'm not 'really' surprised - given the fairly poor reputation
of Swift Group customer service).

The fact remains that publicity of this sort is hugely damaging - you bought
a top end, top price van and now they're telling you that fault
rectification is at the whim of a Dealership (who, of course, want nothing
to do with you, apart from extracting on-going servicing costs, now that the
sale is completed)

Caravan manufacturers have had an easy couple of years. Low interest rates
and house price inflation have buoyed sales up, and they trade are feeling
extremely smug at the moment.

However, the bubble is about to burst with a vengeance - higher interest
rates are probably only weeks away - and when people have to start funding
the greatly increased repayments on all those large mortgages that they've
taken out, luxuries like new caravans are going to be the first thing that
they decide they can live without.

With a new economic reality about to dawn, it would pay Swift to be a bit
more attentive to legitimate grievances.

Hope you get it sorted.