Dover and Calais Campsites - Advice

Old September 18th 03, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
valleyboy

Default Dover and Calais Campsites - Advice

Hi

I am new to caravanning and this NG. I am married with two children and
hope to travel to France next year with a caravan.

We would like to take the advantage of cheap ferry fares in the early hours,
say 04.00. on both the outward and return journey.

Are there any "transit" camps to enable us to get a few hours kip before
boarding.

To get to Dover is 360 miles from where we live. So we'd like to have any
early dinner and get to bed early and then rise very early to catch the
ferry. Similarly on the return trip but, of course, staying in Calais.

Any ideas?

Thanks

valleyboy

Old September 18th 03, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Al Stevenson

Caravan Club site at Folkestone Racecourse is just off the M20 and 30 -
45 minutes from the terminal at Dover (nearer still to the Tunnel)

They have a L A R G E area for night time departures and arrivals.

In message , valleyboy
writes

--
Al Stevenson

Old September 18th 03, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"valleyboy" wrote in message
Hi

I am new to caravanning and this NG. I am married with two children and
hope to travel to France next year with a caravan.

We would like to take the advantage of cheap ferry fares in the early

hours,
say 04.00. on both the outward and return journey.

Are there any "transit" camps to enable us to get a few hours kip before
boarding.

To get to Dover is 360 miles from where we live. So we'd like to have any
early dinner and get to bed early and then rise very early to catch the
ferry. Similarly on the return trip but, of course, staying in Calais.

Any ideas?

Thanks

valleyboy

Have a look at my web site I have three site reports on camping sites around
Dover.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports

Old September 18th 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ira Walters

For our last trip to France (whitsun 2002) we travelled to Dover
expecting/hoping to spend the night on the dock at Dover, having had lots of
advice from other 'vanners that this was the norm. Arriving at Dover we
asked a policeman where 'vans are allowed to get the legs down for a few
hours kip before boarding and he directed us to the seafront/promenade. We
discovered that we were one of about 12 or so units in a neat line along the
front. Quite an experience - and it gave us premier viewing position for
the fireworks on the beach at Dover (Queen's Jubilee w/end). We managed to
get a few hours sleep prior to boarding the ferry at 06:00 hours for travel
onwards to Camping La Bien Assise (a truly excellent site some 30 minutes
from Calais).

(By the way, valleyboy, is that a Welsh valley?!)

HTH
Ira

Old September 18th 03, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I am new to caravanning and this NG. I am married with two children and
hope to travel to France next year with a caravan.
We would like to take the advantage of cheap ferry fares in the early

hours,
say 04.00. on both the outward and return journey.

Join the caravan club, 30.
Then book any of the cl's near Whitfield roundabout at the top of the hill
above Dover. About twenty minutes to the ferry and about 6 a night.
DaveK.

Old September 19th 03, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger M

I use the "cheap fare/caravan goes free" Dover - Calais route quite
frequently. While it does require a VERY early morning departure from Dover
you will find there is no need for an early start from Calais. I left Calais
on the 11:00 sailing last time.

Roger

Old September 19th 03, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Roger M" wrote in message
I use the "cheap fare/caravan goes free" Dover - Calais route quite
frequently. While it does require a VERY early morning departure from

Dover
you will find there is no need for an early start from Calais. I left

Calais
on the 11:00 sailing last time.

Checkout Freedom Fares online with P&O. From 124.
DaveK.