Info on Al-Ko 1300 stabilising tow hitch and Tow ball compatability

Old July 8th 03, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Hainsworth

Default Info on Al-Ko 1300 stabilising tow hitch and Tow ball compatability

The Toyota dealer fitted a proper Toyota towbar - which in this case
was a removable one - you can't open the rear door unless it's removed,
as it fouls the door.
Am I right in understanding that your towbar is fixed, and yet it
allows you to open the rear door OK ? Doesn't that make it sit very low
to the ground

Hi Adrian,
the tow bar is a Brink 328990 to EC94/20 and is fixed. I've just measured
the height of the tow ball with the car unloaded on the driveway and it is
390 mm to the flat top of the tow ball from the floor, this measurement may
be a bit crude in technical terms but gives you an idea of the ground
clearance. The rear door just clears the tow ball on opening, the tow ball
cover even has a flat top to reduce the overall height! You cannot open the
rear door past the towing hitch with a caravan hitched up.

The RAV4 was tested by the Caravan Club and reported in the En Route April
2003 issue, basically a good report and my limited practical experience
agrees with their opinion. I have the D4-D and it has a torquey motor though
barely run in (1200 miles to date) and I really like the car, it drives well
and is giving 44 mpg overall, is a good compact load lugger and a bit funky,
if you know what I mean, even my streetcredwise kids are jealous!

The caravan is about level when hitched although I didn't look too closely
at the set up as we had just chucked our gear over from the old van and, as
we were only towing a few miles, I guessed at the nose weight (it was
definitely nose heavy).

Personally I would have preferred a removeable tow bar as 4x4s generally
have a long swan neck bar sticking out at the rear, but looking in the
Toyota RAV4 accessory catalogue (nip into a Toyota dealer and take one!) a
fixed bar must be used with 215 tyre sizes (mine is in GX trim, 5 door). The
trims fitted with 235 tyres can have a removeable tow bar, don't ask me why
but that's what the accessory cat says! The dealer fitted Brink tow bar is
a substantial item and looks well made.

For those who replied to my original info request, I have now towed my new
caravan and the Alko 1300 hitch fitted on the RAV4 tow ball easily, the
clearance is more than adequate and, no, the fridge did not work whilst on
tow so I believe that I need to have pin No7 earthed on the 12S. I'll return
the vehicle to the main dealer for this work and thus ensure that I have
continuity of warranty from a single supplier for the whole vehicle setup.
Thanks for the info,
Roger