Draining water system

Old September 23rd 03, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Glenn

Default Draining water system

Hi all,

I have a 92 Lunar Jupiter and want to drain any water in the system at the
end of the season to stop feezing, the problem is there is nothing in the
Lunar book to tell me how this is done because if I understand right there
will always be water in the water heater.

Can anyone help here

Thanks

Glenn

Old September 23rd 03, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Glenn" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a 92 Lunar Jupiter and want to drain any water in the system at the
end of the season to stop feezing, the problem is there is nothing in the
Lunar book to tell me how this is done because if I understand right there
will always be water in the water heater.

Can anyone help here

Thanks

Glenn

If its a Carver water heater you should find a drain plug on the outside of
the cowling. Its about the size of a 2p coin with a slot in it to unscrew
it. At the top you may find another smaller recessed plastic screw, this
acts as a pressure release so you get most of the water out. Also have a
look under the van to see if there is another drain plug in the water system
pipes. Don't forget the taps either remove or at the very least leave them
open.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports

Old September 23rd 03, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

"Glenn" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a 92 Lunar Jupiter and want to drain any water in the system at the
end of the season to stop feezing, the problem is there is nothing in the
Lunar book to tell me how this is done because if I understand right there
will always be water in the water heater.

Can anyone help here

Thanks

Glenn

The water heater has to be drained. Assuming it's a Carver, the drain is in
one of two places. On the outside cover bottom corner there is a screwed
plug with a coin slot in it. Later models have the drain inside by the
insulated cover. This is a brass knurled knob about 1/2" diameter which
lifts the pressure relief valve and drains out under the van. Check that
water comes out in both cases. Open all the taps to release the vacuum and
not to leave the seals compressed. Leave a notice in the sink to remind you
that the drain is open next year before you pump a whole aquaroll of water
away. That's my usual trick.

John

Old September 23rd 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:50:56 +0100, "John Manders"
wrote:

| "Glenn" wrote in message
| Hi all,
|
| I have a 92 Lunar Jupiter and want to drain any water in the system at the
| end of the season to stop feezing, the problem is there is nothing in the
| Lunar book to tell me how this is done because if I understand right there
| will always be water in the water heater.

| The water heater has to be drained.

Not if you can arraing electric heating *with* a *Thermostat* set at say 7
deg C, you protect the water system, and protect the van against
condensation etc.

The cost with a thermostat is not great because the air temperature is
below 7 deg C for only a few full days equivalent time each year, and you
are only increasing the van temperature by a few degrees C.

Dave F
Old September 23rd 03, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

| The cost with a thermostat is not great because the air temperature is
| below 7 deg C for only a few full days equivalent time each year, and you
| are only increasing the van temperature by a few degrees C.

Depends where you live!

Budgie

---

Old September 23rd 03, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:02:25 +0100, "Budgie" wrote:

| "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
| |
| | The cost with a thermostat is not great because the air temperature is
| | below 7 deg C for only a few full days equivalent time each year, and you
| | are only increasing the van temperature by a few degrees C.
|
| Depends where you live!

Pedants abound on usenet :-(
Not great compared to heating your house to 20degC.

Dave F
Old September 23rd 03, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

As well as what others have said I usually blow through the pipes to ensure
that no water is left lying in a dip, best to use the shower hose for this
with the spray detached.

Old September 23rd 03, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:17:34 +0100, "Stewart"
wrote:

| As well as what others have said I usually blow through the pipes to ensure
| that no water is left lying in a dip, best to use the shower hose for this
| with the spray detached.

The pipes in a caravan are a very flexible plastic, so freezing water in
the *pipes* is no great problem. I did once loose a Whale tap due to
freezing, so the taps should be left open, at the same time as the heater
is drained.

Dave F

Old September 24th 03, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Glenn your Lunar should have a couple of taps inside the bed locker where the
boiler is. They are labelled with their functions. This is what my 1992 Lunar
Clubman 400/2 has with the same Carver units as yours.

Cheers, Peter.

"klyne" wrote in message
:
:
: --
: "Glenn" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi all,
:
[...]
: Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice and
: site reports
:
: