Whilst on the subject of gas cylinders.

Old December 6th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Lander

Default Whilst on the subject of gas cylinders.

Whilst on the subject of gas cylinders.

We have been buying our gas and collecting it from a depot 10 miles
away at Staveley, which is on the route to work. Never been a problem.
Called on the way home Monday to restock. They would not allow us to
take them away ourselves as they would have to be laid down in the back
of the truck (to prevent falling over) and that they cannot be
transported in an enclosed space (need to be in the open air. i.e. the
back of a pickup).
There are notices displayed to this effect.
They offered and did deliver to home, at no extra cost, the following
day.

All is well.

Therefore, what is the point of this posting I hear you say?

Has this become a national practice and what are the implications if I
have to replace a cylinder whilst away from home with the caravan? Do I
have to vacate my pitch and take the empty cylinder in the van to a
local stockist??

I see problems ahead. $(

Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)

Old December 7th 06, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 23:48:43 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Lander"
wrote:

|Whilst on the subject of gas cylinders.
|
| We have been buying our gas and collecting it from a depot 10 miles
|away at Staveley, which is on the route to work. Never been a problem.
|Called on the way home Monday to restock. They would not allow us to
|take them away ourselves as they would have to be laid down in the back
|of the truck (to prevent falling over) and that they cannot be
|transported in an enclosed space (need to be in the open air. i.e. the
|back of a pickup).

I carry mine in the back of the car held vertically with luggage straps
The ventilation in a car is sufficient to clear any minor leaks.

|There are notices displayed to this effect.
|They offered and did deliver to home, at no extra cost, the following
|day.
|
| All is well.
|
| Therefore, what is the point of this posting I hear you say?
|
| Has this become a national practice and what are the implications if I
|have to replace a cylinder whilst away from home with the caravan? Do I
|have to vacate my pitch and take the empty cylinder in the van to a
|local stockist??

Your caravan LPG Storage locker is ventilated and labled as per the
regulations, and the bottle is held upright.

|I see problems ahead. $(

This is Health and Safety gone mad yet again. Just because there are
idiots around everyone is treated as an idiot.

LPG is stench ed, made to smell terrible, so that 99.99999999% of the
population will note that there is a problem and cure it long before the
concentration of LPG on the air reaches explosive level. That is one
accident in the UK per 100 years, which they are trying to prevent, by
making life difficult for all of us.
Old December 7th 06, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

When wanting calor gas when at home I found on the web for delivery is the
list price but at the depot/shop it is 50p more than list price.
So next time I will internet order, saying 50p and my diesel fuel.
Remember dealers/stockists can charge what they want it seems the list price
is the minimum.

Please reply to News Group

Old December 7th 06, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 08:20:08 GMT, "David" wrote:

|When wanting calor gas when at home I found on the web for delivery is the
|list price but at the depot/shop it is 50p more than list price.
|So next time I will internet order, saying 50p and my diesel fuel.
|Remember dealers/stockists can charge what they want it seems the list price
|is the minimum.

I get my LPG from the local Calor agent, or any Calor agent with no
problems.
Old December 7th 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

Has this become a national practice and what are the implications if I
have to replace a cylinder whilst away from home with the caravan? Do I
have to vacate my pitch and take the empty cylinder in the van to a
local stockist??

Have you considered a fixed gas tank and using autogas? Although there's an
initial installation fee after that the gas is very cheap, it's a mix of
butane and propane so it works all year and you can fill up all over Europe
as well as in the the UK. In addition, if you've got space, you can put it
somewhere other than the gas locker and reduce your nose weight. All tanks
have the ability to have a gas level indicator fitted so you need never run
out in the middle of the night again.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 7th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Andy R
writes
Has this become a national practice and what are the implications if I
have to replace a cylinder whilst away from home with the caravan? Do I
have to vacate my pitch and take the empty cylinder in the van to a
local stockist??

Have you considered a fixed gas tank and using autogas? Although there's an
initial installation fee after that the gas is very cheap, it's a mix of
butane and propane so it works all year and you can fill up all over Europe
as well as in the the UK. In addition, if you've got space, you can put it
somewhere other than the gas locker and reduce your nose weight. All tanks
have the ability to have a gas level indicator fitted so you need never run
out in the middle of the night again.

Rgds

Andy R

Autogas in the UK is generally commercial grade propane. (There is
TTBOMK) no actual specification for Autogas) On the continent, notably
Holland, it is a butane/propane mix.

Quiet a few people with Motorhomes have installed a fixed tank in the
way you suggest although the LPGA are doing there best to stop it. (No
prize for guessing one of the major backers of the LPGA).

--
hugh
Old December 7th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Andy R
writes
[...]

A 30 mbar reg will work OK though whatever the mix, so provided there's some
propane in there low temps shouldn't cause any probs.

Quiet a few people with Motorhomes have installed a fixed tank in the way
you suggest although the LPGA are doing there best to stop it. (No prize
for guessing one of the major backers of the LPGA).

I can't for the life of me see how they can stop it. In fact it's going the
other way, in the past Eurotunnel wouldn't accept fixed gas tanks but they
do now for this purpose.

Because of the intial cost I don't suppose it'll become widespread beyond
motorhomes anyway but it's so much more convenient than humping bottles
around.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 7th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:50:01 -0000, "Andy R" wrote:

|Because of the intial cost I don't suppose it'll become widespread beyond
|motorhomes anyway but it's so much more convenient than humping bottles
|around.

I did the maths and concluded that fitting my caravan to use Autogas would
never show a return on capital :-(
Old December 7th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:50:01 -0000, "Andy R" wrote:

|Because of the intial cost I don't suppose it'll become widespread beyond
|motorhomes anyway but it's so much more convenient than humping bottles
|around.

I did the maths and concluded that fitting my caravan to use Autogas would
never show a return on capital :-(

True, but having said that the entire caravan itself will never give a
return, simply pleasure.

With the gas cylinder you pay the money and it gives you an easier life in
the same way as a motor-mover or some other gadget which in all honesty you
could do without.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 7th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:06:37 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:50:01 -0000, "Andy R" wrote:

|Because of the intial cost I don't suppose it'll become widespread beyond
|motorhomes anyway but it's so much more convenient than humping bottles
|around.

I did the maths and concluded that fitting my caravan to use Autogas would
never show a return on capital :-(

I hope not the same maths you used to decide what was more economical,
propane or butane!

I'd still be interested to see them though?

Something I realised this week. Is that the 4.5kg Butane is the same
price, and size as the 3.9kg Propane. Give or take a few Ps. So what's
the point in buying the propane?

Not sure how I never noticed before. I just presumed the bottles were
different sizes!