Flame to this group

Old December 8th 06, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeremy Cook

Default Flame to this group

Dear all,

as a long time user (more than 20 years) of what is now called the
internet I feel the need to flame this group. There was a time, not so
very long ago, when I would use the USENET groups to quickly get up to
speed on a new hobby, technology, or other interest. I have done this
many times and found the USENET a very powerful tool.

Caravanning is completely new to me, though I have been tent camping
since the age of about 2, so no stranger to being out and about, but my
family and I are excited about what caravanning has to offer. So I was
delighted to find this group, and quickly subscribed, thinking that we
would quickly learn interesting stuff without having to learn so much
the hard way.

However to my great disappointment I find that this group is about 10%
useful and 90% total rubbish, and I have decided to unsubscribe. In
particular there is some guy who comments regularly, with most of that
90%, and who really gets on my pip - you should just stick to
alt.talk.******** mate, you have no place here. It seems that USENET is
only useful for binary downloads these days, and there are fare more
practical forums outside of this group. I realise that some of you are
completely serious, but this whole group is spoiled by all of the other
off topic comments flying around.

Sorry, but I felt the need to say something, I may look in on this
group from time to time, but for now I am un-subscribing and keeping my
mail box clean.

Bye for now,

Jeremy

Old December 8th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Jeremy Cook" wrote in message
ps.com...
Dear all,

as a long time user (more than 20 years) of what is now called the
internet I feel the need to flame this group. There was a time, not so
very long ago, when I would use the USENET groups to quickly get up to
speed on a new hobby, technology, or other interest. I have done this
many times and found the USENET a very powerful tool.

Caravanning is completely new to me, though I have been tent camping
since the age of about 2, so no stranger to being out and about, but my
family and I are excited about what caravanning has to offer. So I was
delighted to find this group, and quickly subscribed, thinking that we
would quickly learn interesting stuff without having to learn so much
the hard way.

If you want an answer to a specific question you'll usually get it. Things
do go o/t and some people don't know when to stop but like any group
conversation it can't stay on topic all the time.

However to my great disappointment I find that this group is about 10%
useful and 90% total rubbish, and I have decided to unsubscribe

Your loss.

Andy R

Old December 8th 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

Jeremy Cook uttered summat worrerz funny
about:
Dear all,

Snip

Bye for now,

Jeremy

Bye!

Old December 8th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

However to my great disappointment I find that this group is about 10%
useful and 90% total rubbish, and I have decided to unsubscribe

If your drivel about USENET were true then you would know that this is quite a
good signal to noise ratio for USENET.

Bye!
Old December 8th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Jeremy Cook came up with the following;:

Bye for now,

Bye ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old December 8th 06, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On 8 Dec 2006 01:47:36 -0800, "Jeremy Cook"
wrote:

[...]

Tjis is a pity because many of us here welcome new people. I presume
that most of the drivel comes from Phil Kyle, though I do not know as
I never ever see his posts. We went through a phase a few years ago
where this was a problem that nearly made this group non vialble but
there are ways of avoiding almost all of the rubbish, and once that
has been done it becomes a place to find things out and to discuss
your hobby once more.

Bill Lord

Old December 8th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Remus

"Jeremy Cook" wrote in message
ps.com...
as a long time user (more than 20 years) of what is now called the
internet I feel the need to flame this group. I find that this group is about 10% useful and 90% total rubbish, and I have decided to unsubscribe.

20 years eh? Pity you didn't use 15 minutes of that time to learn all about 'Block Senders' and killfiles.
Old December 8th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Andy R said the following on 08/12/2006 10:15:

If you want an answer to a specific question you'll usually get it. Things
do go o/t and some people don't know when to stop but like any group
conversation it can't stay on topic all the time.

Your loss.

Andy R

For once eloquently put!

Roy - (staying on topic for this thread!)
Old December 8th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I tried to block some of the senders but it is a never ending exercise; as
quickly as I included one then another turned up. Can you please tell me
what you mean by "killfiles" as I think I am missing something here.

Old December 8th 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

Sorry, but I felt the need to say something, I may look in on this
group from time to time, but for now I am un-subscribing and keeping my
mail box clean.

Bye for now,

Jeremy

I can understand where you are coming from. As one person said if you ask a
question you will usually get an answer and usually a comprehensive one. So
there is still good and helpful knowledge here. I still look in on a regular
basis and you do get to know what to ignore and there is always the 'Block
Sender' option. I now prefer the web forums because they are moderated. Mind
does not always stop a troll attack but usually quickly dealt with. Each to
his own

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk