Truma water heater

Old December 10th 06, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geraint

Default Truma water heater

Your advice please. While connecting up to the bollard at Chatsworth this
weekend I fogot that the water heater had been drained down after the last
outing incase of frost. Unfortunately the electric heating element was
powered. As soon as I realised what had happened I switched it off. Filled
the system with water and tried again. No joy. The handbook suggested
switching off for 5 minutes and then back on again to reset the temperature
overload device -again no luck. I ran the heater on gas over the weekend.
My query is, what are my options? Have I missed something? Have I cooked
the element and if so, how easy is it to replace?
As always, your kind advice would be most welcome.

Geraint

Old December 10th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Geraint said the following on 10/12/2006 18:55:
Your advice please. While connecting up to the bollard at Chatsworth this
weekend I fogot that the water heater had been drained down after the last
outing incase of frost. Unfortunately the electric heating element was
powered. As soon as I realised what had happened I switched it off. Filled
the system with water and tried again. No joy. The handbook suggested
switching off for 5 minutes and then back on again to reset the temperature
overload device -again no luck. I ran the heater on gas over the weekend.
My query is, what are my options? Have I missed something? Have I cooked
the element and if so, how easy is it to replace?
As always, your kind advice would be most welcome.

Geraint

If it is like the older models just press the reset button.

Roy
Old December 10th 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:55:13 GMT, "Geraint"
wrote:

|Your advice please. While connecting up to the bollard at Chatsworth this
|weekend I fogot that the water heater had been drained down after the last
|outing incase of frost. Unfortunately the electric heating element was
|powered. As soon as I realised what had happened I switched it off. Filled
|the system with water and tried again. No joy. The handbook suggested
|switching off for 5 minutes and then back on again to reset the temperature
|overload device -again no luck. I ran the heater on gas over the weekend.
|My query is, what are my options? Have I missed something? Have I cooked
|the element and if so, how easy is it to replace?
|As always, your kind advice would be most welcome.

Chances are the electric heater is knackered :-(
Test it carefully again, then if the heater *is* knackered your choice is
always run it on LPG, or replace it. Repair is rarely economic :-(
Old December 10th 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geraint

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to phone the Dealer :-(
Geraint

Old December 11th 06, 05:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:09:43 GMT, "Geraint"
wrote:

|Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to phone the Dealer :-(
|Geraint

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
| On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:55:13 GMT, "Geraint"
| wrote:
|
| |Your advice please. While connecting up to the bollard at Chatsworth
| this
| |weekend I fogot that the water heater had been drained down after the
| last
| |outing incase of frost. Unfortunately the electric heating element was
| |powered. As soon as I realised what had happened I switched it off.
| Filled
| |the system with water and tried again. No joy. The handbook suggested
| |switching off for 5 minutes and then back on again to reset the
| temperature
| |overload device -again no luck. I ran the heater on gas over the
| weekend.
| |My query is, what are my options? Have I missed something? Have I
| cooked
| |the element and if so, how easy is it to replace?
| |As always, your kind advice would be most welcome.
|
| Chances are the electric heater is knackered :-(
| Test it carefully again, then if the heater *is* knackered your choice is
| always run it on LPG, or replace it. Repair is rarely economic :-(

Someone else mentioned a reset button, if it had one I would try that
first. Old kettles had a resetable overheat protection.
Old December 11th 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Joe R

Look on the end of the water heater (faces into the van) There is a
small tight plastic flap, about size of penny. slide this upwards and
underneath is a red reset button.
I've made the same mistake as you 3 times now and had to do the reset.
Works every time.

Joe R
Old December 11th 06, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff

wrote:

|Your advice please. While connecting up to the bollard at Chatsworth
this
|weekend I fogot that the water heater had been drained down after the
last
|outing incase of frost. Unfortunately the electric heating element was
|powered. As soon as I realised what had happened I switched it off.
Filled
|the system with water and tried again. No joy. The handbook suggested
|switching off for 5 minutes and then back on again to reset the
temperature
|overload device -again no luck. I ran the heater on gas over the
weekend.
|My query is, what are my options? Have I missed something? Have I
cooked
|the element and if so, how easy is it to replace?
|As always, your kind advice would be most welcome.

First thing to check, is that you are getting power right up to the
heater element, or as far as you can.

Old December 11th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Joe R" wrote in message
Look on the end of the water heater (faces into the van) There is a
small tight plastic flap, about size of penny. slide this upwards and
underneath is a red reset button.
I've made the same mistake as you 3 times now and had to do the reset.
Works every time.

Joe R

Fine on a Carver, but not on a Trauma.

The element is replaceable.

Cheers

Old December 11th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff

Default running costs. LPG versus electric?

How do you work out the running costs of gas/electric? They reckon the
oil filled rads cost something silly, like 6p per hour to run! Find
that hard to believe, given the bills I get.

We have a gas combi 4kw heater/boiler the
Gas consumption: stage one burner 170 g/h stage two 320 g/h

versus say a

2kw oil filled rad with thermostat.

So. What's cheapest to run?

TIA
Old December 12th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil Clarke

"Geraint" wrote in message
. uk...
Your advice please. While connecting up to the bollard at Chatsworth this
weekend I fogot that the water heater had been drained down after the last
outing incase of frost. Unfortunately the electric heating element was
powered. As soon as I realised what had happened I switched it off.
Filled the system with water and tried again. No joy. The handbook
suggested switching off for 5 minutes and then back on again to reset the
temperature overload device -again no luck. I ran the heater on gas over
the weekend.
My query is, what are my options? Have I missed something? Have I cooked
the element and if so, how easy is it to replace?
As always, your kind advice would be most welcome.

Geraint

I did the same thing earlier this year on my 2005 Swift and thought the
element was knackered when it failed to work after I realised. I even got
prices for a replacement (150ish fitted). Doing a DIY job looked like a
nightmare, the whole bedframe has to be removed (as I found out when looking
for the elusive reset switch) and even then, the plumbing appears to go
through the plastic casing. I reckond the easiest way would have been to
cut the casing to allow access to the element.
Anyway, after a couple of weekend trips on gas, the element had somehow
cured itself. You may not be so lucky, but it may be worth trying again
once you have disconnected the mains completely. This is the only way I can
explain it, as I didn't do this at the time it happened - I just fired up on
gas and didn't try the mains again for a number of trips.

Cheers,
Neil