Are you aware...

Old December 11th 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bluesky

Default Are you aware...

Doesnt seem right ...please keep us updated
on your campaign
--
Cheers
Paul [Bluesky Marketing]

http://www.laserpointers.co.uk
http://www.infiniter.co.uk
http://www.noddingtoys.co.uk
http://www.megagreen.co.uk
http://www.laserads.co.uk

Bluesky Marketing
Unit 29
SIX Harmony Row
Glasgow G51 3BA

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
...that VAT ( at 17.5%) is levied on the poppy wreaths which
are laid at war memorials on Remembrance Day?

I only discovered that fact this year, and to say that I was
extremely upset would be to put it mildly.

So I got in touch with my MP, who has 'done his MP thing' and
has received a reply from Dawn Primarolo as a result, stating
that, basically, there is nothing that can be done about it now,
and the VAT charge will remain....

Well, I told my MP that I was going to make a point of bringing
this fact to the attention of as many people as I could...

This is part of that attempt! I would ask anyone who feels that
this charge should NOT be levied on wreaths, made by a charity, which
in the main are bought by associations which are themselves charitable
institutions, to get in touch with your own MP and voice your concerns.

Thank you.

--
AnneJ

Old December 12th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from "Bluesky" contains these words:

Doesnt seem right ...please keep us updated
on your campaign

Thus far today: Prince Charles was e-mailed on his private addy.
The chairman of the Daily Mail has agreed to support our cause
Chris Patton is to discuss the VAT question with the EU Commission
Gordon Brown has been informed of our concerns.
Lord Strathclyde is to table a question in the Lords (next week?)
The entire Board of HM Revenues & Customs have been made aware of
our concerns, and I trust will discuss the matter a.s.a.p.
Several MPs have been faxed/e-mailed and made aware of our concerns.
(Not sure how many, but a few more won't hurt...if you feel so inclined?)

I think that's all, but not bad going for one day! G

The general issue of charities and VAT has been raised by many people
(including myself) around the country during the last few months as part
of the Cabinet Office and Treasury Comprehensive Spending Review.

Charities do not get any special treatment, with a very few exceptions,
notably Search and Rescue. (I am Treasurer of a S&R Team)

Small charities which are not VAT registered of course have to pay VAT
on their purchases but can't currently reclaim it. Their cash in the
main comes from people standing in supermarket foyers or the streets
with collecting tins, so effectively this money is being taxed. WE put
forward the argument that all charities should be able to reclaim any
VAT paid.

As far as Remembrance Day is concerned politicians are totally two
faced. They stand there and spout their pious words - and then let
30,000 older people die unnecessarily of malnutrition and cold EVERY
YEAR because the country with the fourth largest economy in the world
and highest personal wealth levels ever -blah blah blah can't afford to
pay a decent pension.
These are in the main the over 80s, the ones who actually lived and
fought during the second world war.

--
hugh