Chafing gell fuel

Old December 11th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default Chafing gell fuel

Does anyone here use it? If so, where do you buy it - a camping shop?

Mary

Old December 11th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default Chafing gel fuel

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Does anyone here use it? If so, where do you buy it - a camping shop?

Mary

Should only be one 'l'!

Mary

Old December 11th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Danny

Mary Fisher wrote:
Does anyone here use it? If so, where do you buy it - a camping shop?

Mary

From catering supplies places, Nisbets online, for example:

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/AdvancedSearch.asp?keyword=chafing+gel

(regardless of how you spell it...)

--
Regards, Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/EU ordering for Malabar Gold blend)

Old December 12th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Danny" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Does anyone here use it? If so, where do you buy it - a camping shop?

Mary

From catering supplies places, Nisbets online, for example:

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/AdvancedSearch.asp?keyword=chafing+gel

Thanks, I'd already bookmarked them. Spouse is going to look for catering
suppliers in Leeds, the one we usually deal with doesn't do it but there
must be others.

Mary

Old December 12th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Does anyone here use it? If so, where do you buy it - a camping shop?

Mary

Should only be one 'l'!

Mary

What do you use it for Mary, or for what do you use it? I am sure you will
tell me, the grammar that is :-)
Seriously I had never heard of it and I have been involved with camping from
tiny tents to caravans most of my life.

Regards.
Dave.

Old December 12th 06, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Does anyone here use it? If so, where do you buy it - a camping shop?

Mary

Should only be one 'l'!

Mary

What do you use it for Mary, or for what do you use it? I am sure you
will tell me, the grammar that is :-)
Seriously I had never heard of it and I have been involved with camping
from tiny tents to caravans most of my life.

I don't know if it IS used by campers, I'm snatching at straws, Spouse
suggested that campers might use it. In sixty years of camping I've only
known meths, paraffin and bottled gas but some use petrol stoves and someone
just might use this stuff. It might become mandatory to have a 'safer' fuel
if They think about it.

It seems that it's a safer substitute for methylated spirits, being a gel
rather than a liquid. In my case it's specified for using as a fuel for
heating a cooking stone. The advertising blurb said that the stone was
heated by two spirit burners but there was none with the kit and the shop
doesn't have it either. We can't use meths in the burners because there's no
wick in them and no provision for holding a wick.

The stuff can be bought at catering outlets, by post, for instance from:

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/Pr...GroupCode=1734
and apparently from Costco but we don't have a card for that, never felt the
need.

Ah well! It was worth a try :-)

Mary

Old December 13th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Sally Ogden" wrote in message
i buy mine from the local Makro store.

Oh - I used to have a card for that, thanks.

Mary

Old December 13th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

We can't use meths in the burners because there's no
wick in them and no provision for holding a wick.

The meths stove I used when I was younger didn't use a wick and worked
very well.
Are you sure you can't use meths?

John

Old December 13th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Mary Fisher has brought this to us :
We can't use meths in the burners because there's no wick in them and no
provision for holding a wick.

Meths needs no wick, it burns on the surface of the fluid.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk