Gas on the Continent

Old December 12th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Moppett

Default Gas on the Continent

Have a friend who is off the Spain after Christmas. Not being the best
organised she is still running her motorhome on Calor Butane and
planning to change when she gets over the Channel.
Am I right in thinking that Camping Gaz is the normal alternative, or
can you get refillable bottles in France/Spain

John
Old December 12th 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham Wilson

"John Moppett" wrote in message
Have a friend who is off the Spain after Christmas. Not being the best
organised she is still running her motorhome on Calor Butane and planning
to change when she gets over the Channel.

Am I right in thinking that Camping Gaz is the normal alternative, or can
you get refillable bottles in France/Spain

John

Both John

BUT

Every one of the gas providers seems to have different fittings
a re-fillable may be the best option once over there

Old December 12th 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Graham Wilson" wrote in message

"John Moppett" wrote in message
Have a friend who is off the Spain after Christmas. Not being the best
organised she is still running her motorhome on Calor Butane and planning
to change when she gets over the Channel.

Am I right in thinking that Camping Gaz is the normal alternative, or can
you get refillable bottles in France/Spain

John

Both John

BUT

Every one of the gas providers seems to have different fittings
a re-fillable may be the best option once over there

In my experience over the past 25 years in France and Spain I would advise
taking Camping Gaz. Take a couple of the 907 size. They can be exchanged
in many places, garages, supermarkets and small shops. Calor is
unobtainable. The French and Spanish caravanner does not depend on gas as
much as we British and tends to use electric hookups. When in Rome etc., so
that is what we do. It certainly makes life simple. We use electricity for
cooking, lighting and when necessary for heating. The gas is there for
emergency use only and maybe when we spend a night on an 'Aire' or on the
quayside near the ferryport.
Have a good trip.
Regards.
Dave.

Old December 12th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:34:28 +0000, John Moppett
wrote:

Have a friend who is off the Spain after Christmas. Not being the best
organised she is still running her motorhome on Calor Butane and
planning to change when she gets over the Channel.
Am I right in thinking that Camping Gaz is the normal alternative, or
can you get refillable bottles in France/Spain

John

As others have said Camping Gaz is the only option unless you buy new
bottles & regulator in Spain.

If traveling down through France she will need propane as it's too
cold this time of year for butane to gas off reliably.

You don't say how long she is going for, by using mains for heating a
couple of 11kg bottles of propane should last a couple of months.

Lenny
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk

Old December 12th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"John Moppett" wrote in message
Have a friend who is off the Spain after Christmas. Not being the best
organised she is still running her motorhome on Calor Butane and
planning to change when she gets over the Channel.
Am I right in thinking that Camping Gaz is the normal alternative, or
can you get refillable bottles in France/Spain

John

Camping Gaz is the only universally available gas throughout the popular
tour countries in Europe that I know of. It is quite expensive compared to
the likes of Calor, which is saying something!!! One advantage of Spain is
that it is much cheaper than elsewhere. If your friend is staying some time
it might be worth her considering buying a local cylinder providing she can
the regulator/pigtails. I am not absolutely sure of my facts here but I seem
to remember reading that you are not allowed to self fill cylinders in
Spain. I am sure someone on here will confirm whether I am right or wrong.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old December 12th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"David Klyne" wrote in message

Camping Gaz is the only universally available gas throughout the popular
tour countries in Europe that I know of. It is quite expensive compared to
the likes of Calor, which is saying something!!! One advantage of Spain is
that it is much cheaper than elsewhere. If your friend is staying some
time
it might be worth her considering buying a local cylinder providing she
can
the regulator/pigtails. I am not absolutely sure of my facts here but I
seem
to remember reading that you are not allowed to self fill cylinders in
Spain. I am sure someone on here will confirm whether I am right or wrong.

I'm not sure but I recall being told that there are rules and regulations in
Spain which stop non residents getting gas bottles or exchanging/ refiils.
It is something the OP needs to find out about.

Please reply to News Group

Old December 13th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

David wrote:

I'm not sure but I recall being told that there are rules and regulations in
Spain which stop non residents getting gas bottles or exchanging/ refiils.
It is something the OP needs to find out about.

I live in Spain. What you say is not strictly true.
To obtain your first gas bottle you need a certificate of inspection of
the gas supply system in your house.
Your motorhome doesn`t class as a house. Some, but not all, garages
will let you have a gas bottle for your motorhome.
You can often buy empty bottles at a car boot sale in Spain.
The regulators can be bought from most supermarkets.
Once you have a gas bottle then there is absolutly no problem with
getting a refil.
Cheers
Gerry
Insunny and warm Spain :-)

Old December 13th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 13 Dec 2006 05:21:14 -0800, wrote:

|David wrote:
|

| I'm not sure but I recall being told that there are rules and regulations in
| Spain which stop non residents getting gas bottles or exchanging/ refiils.
| It is something the OP needs to find out about.
|
| --
| Regards,
| David
|
|I live in Spain. What you say is not strictly true.
|To obtain your first gas bottle you need a certificate of inspection of
|the gas supply system in your house.
|Your motorhome doesn`t class as a house. Some, but not all, garages
|will let you have a gas bottle for your motorhome.
|You can often buy empty bottles at a car boot sale in Spain.
|The regulators can be bought from most supermarkets.
|Once you have a gas bottle then there is absolutly no problem with
|getting a refil.

So how many incompatible regulator fittings in Spain, just to make things
difficult for the poor punter.

I have stopped counting the number of Butane regulator fittings in the UK,
I use propane which are all the same.
Old December 14th 06, 06:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
SNIP

So how many incompatible regulator fittings in Spain, just to make things
difficult for the poor punter.

In Spain there are 2 suppliers of gas, Repsol who supply the orange
bottles and Cepsa who supply the silver bottles.
Both supply the same size bottles but the silver ones are made from
stainless steel and are much lighter.
Both use the same regulator.
To use Spanish gas bottles you only need one regulator.
It only fits Spanish gas bottles.

Cheers
Gerry
In Warm and Sunny Spain