Slightly OT - Jeep Cherokee Common Faults?

Old December 19th 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Slightly OT - Jeep Cherokee Common Faults?

Hi I am considering buying a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Diesel, probably
somewhere in the range of 1993 to 2000.

Are there any common failings of this model I should be aware of before
parting with my money? The vehicle would be used for getting me too and
from work, a 15 minute sprint down the motorway, and for towing a
trailer or caravan.

TIA
--
Jim.

___________________________________

North Derbyshire
England

To reply directly:
replace "nospam" with "henrun" in the email address
Old December 20th 06, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Moppett

Jim wrote:
Hi I am considering buying a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Diesel, probably
somewhere in the range of 1993 to 2000.

Are there any common failings of this model I should be aware of before
parting with my money? The vehicle would be used for getting me too and
from work, a 15 minute sprint down the motorway, and for towing a
trailer or caravan.

TIA

I seem to recall some serious questions about the four wheel drive
system. If I remember correctly they identified problems if it was not
run on a regular basis.
Old December 20th 06, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Jim wrote:
Hi I am considering buying a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Diesel, probably
somewhere in the range of 1993 to 2000.

Are there any common failings of this model I should be aware of before
parting with my money? The vehicle would be used for getting me too and
from work, a 15 minute sprint down the motorway, and for towing a
trailer or caravan.

TIA
--
Jim.

Try uk.rec.cars.4x4

John

Old December 20th 06, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , John Moppett
writes
Jim wrote:
Hi I am considering buying a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Diesel, probably
somewhere in the range of 1993 to 2000.
Are there any common failings of this model I should be aware of
before parting with my money? The vehicle would be used for getting
me too and from work, a 15 minute sprint down the motorway, and for
towing a trailer or caravan.
TIA

I seem to recall some serious questions about the four wheel drive
system. If I remember correctly they identified problems if it was not
run on a regular basis.

The only problem I found in that department was when I put two new tyres
on the same axle - couldn't get it out of 4 wheel drive. Drove it SLOWLY
to the dealers to be told it was a known problem and was overcome by
moving one new tyre to the other axle.

The rear seat squab is very short and I also found the driving position
very uncomfortable on a long drive. I found that I was sitting slightly
twisted. Mine was the 4 litre auto and it seemed that in the conversion
to RHD the pedals were pushed over to the right to avoid the bulge on
the gear box where the transfer box sits.

--
hugh
Old December 21st 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Caretaker

Jim wrote:
Hi I am considering buying a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Diesel, probably
somewhere in the range of 1993 to 2000.

Are there any common failings of this model I should be aware of before
parting with my money? The vehicle would be used for getting me too and
from work, a 15 minute sprint down the motorway, and for towing a
trailer or caravan.

Not a comfortable driving position, when (not if) the Aircon goes it
costs an horrendous amount to fix, of time, effort and/or money.
'Wind-up' in the 4wd system can be a real problem and unless any
diff-locks or gearbox mechanisms aren't used they sulk and stop working.

Bro-in-law had a 4l version and really enjoyed it, but he has only one
leg and drives the automatic version ... quite appropriate because the
size of him would preclude him fitting in the drivers area if he still
had both legs, it's a bit of a squeeze to the pedals.

He always went through the motions of going through all the gearchanges
and diff-locks (he had airlockers fitted) at least once a week to keep
them lubricated and working.

He also found it a little gutless, even compared to my Landrover
Discovery, for towing. The gearbox ratios don't complement the
powerband for load hauling at all, unless you want to go really slowly.

He had a diesel 2.5 for a while when his went in for a repair that
lasted a couple of months, but he would recommend you don't even
consider this version. Absolutely powerless, all the worst traits of
the petrol versions, with LESS fuel economy 'cos it's not got the power
to pull the vehicle so works hard all the time.

Mind, he was a builder who lives on a farm, so it was used for all sorts
of load-pulling and gets hard use.

--
The Caretaker ........
Old December 21st 06, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Danny

Jim wrote:
Hi I am considering buying a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Diesel, probably
somewhere in the range of 1993 to 2000.

Are there any common failings of this model I should be aware of before
parting with my money? The vehicle would be used for getting me too and
from work, a 15 minute sprint down the motorway, and for towing a
trailer or caravan.

TIA

I had a '97 4l Cherokee. Great drive, comfortable etc, but suspension
far too soft for towing heavy loads (my trailer is 2 tones). Probably
OK with a lighter 'van, but mine snaked terribly at anything over
45mph, but it wasn't the trailer since it towed happily on a Landrover
110 and the Isuzu Trooper (Bighorn) I replaced the Cherokee with.
American cars are slightly harder to find non-OEM parts for - rear
light bulbs were main agent last time I looked (certainly couldn't
find them at Halfords or local factors). 4l guzzly (don't know
anything about the diesel), but a great engine. Good car for long
drives, and I only had a water pump fail in a year (known likely
fault). Other faults are as noted by other posters. My aircon worked
fine, but is very expensive when it breaks. I think uprated rear
suspension is available and may help with towing, as would a
transmission cooler if an automatic.

--
Regards, Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)