Lexus GS 300 towcar?

Old December 20th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Russ.

Default Lexus GS 300 towcar?

Hi
Has anyone had any experience towing with a Lexus GS300 as I was
considering buying one to tow my 15ft Abbey Vogue
I have been told it is essential to have an oil cooler & radiator fitted to
the automatic gearbox
I have towed with automatics before without any problem so why is the Lexus
any different?
Any help would be appreciated as I would hate to make an expensive mistake
Thanks
Russ

Old December 20th 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Russ." wrote in message
Hi
Has anyone had any experience towing with a Lexus GS300 as I was
considering buying one to tow my 15ft Abbey Vogue
I have been told it is essential to have an oil cooler & radiator fitted
to the automatic gearbox
I have towed with automatics before without any problem so why is the
Lexus any different?
Any help would be appreciated as I would hate to make an expensive mistake
Thanks
Russ

Most modern automatics have an transmission oil cooler fitted. Check with
Lexus, but I'd be surprised if it didn't come with one as standard. As
automatics use the fluid to transmit power, if it become too hot it can't
transmit said power. Hence the requirement for an oil cooler.

Cheers

Old December 21st 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bert W

[email protected] home wrote:
"Russ." wrote in message
Hi
Has anyone had any experience towing with a Lexus GS300 as I was
considering buying one to tow my 15ft Abbey Vogue
I have been told it is essential to have an oil cooler & radiator
fitted to the automatic gearbox
I have towed with automatics before without any problem so why is the
Lexus any different?
Any help would be appreciated as I would hate to make an expensive
mistake Thanks

Most modern automatics have an transmission oil cooler fitted. Check

Wow, you have a list of these manufacturers, who do care? I doubt it... In
the US you order a towbar, you get an oilcooler. Not in Europe. You must ask
and double ask!

with Lexus, but I'd be surprised if it didn't come with one as
standard. As automatics use the fluid to transmit power, if it become
too hot it can't transmit said power. Hence the requirement for an
oil cooler.

Absolutely true. Because of normally long gear ratios of automatics speeds
uphill will be too low to engage more or less 1:1 contact of engine and
wheels, so converterslip is causing heat, much heat.

--
Regards, Bert W
www.whattowcar.com