Thetford Header Tank

Old December 25th 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Griffith

Default Thetford Header Tank

I was wondering if any one has found a solution to emptying the header tank
for their loo. We have recently changed our van and the header tank for the
loo is different than our old system. On this system you have to remove the
cassette and then remove a grey plug, which sits slightly inside the van to
drain it. This is OK when you first do it as the pressure forces the water
away from the van. But as the tanks gets lower the pressure drops and the
water does not clear the van and will start to fill the tray where the
cassette goes.

Has any one found a mod the keeps the water away from the van?

TIA

Old December 25th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

David Griffith submitted this idea :
Has any one found a mod the keeps the water away from the van?

Cheap plastic funnel with a short bit of pipe perhaps?

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old December 26th 06, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller

"David Griffith" wrote in message
I was wondering if any one has found a solution to emptying the header tank
for their loo. We have recently changed our van and the header tank for the
loo is different than our old system. On this system you have to remove the
cassette and then remove a grey plug, which sits slightly inside the van to
drain it. This is OK when you first do it as the pressure forces the water
away from the van. But as the tanks gets lower the pressure drops and the
water does not clear the van and will start to fill the tray where the
cassette goes.

Has any one found a mod the keeps the water away from the van?

TIA

If it is the C200 type of toilet, I complained to Thetford about the drain
facility (or lack of) a few years back when we first came across them.
Their solution is that you should drain the header tank by pumping the
contents into the toilet bowl and the cassette and use a small receptacle
(such as a jam jar, milk bottle, etc) to catch the remaining few drops from
the drain plug. Isn't progress wonderful? My complaint to them came after an
unfortunate incident when I drained the tank, forgot to put the plug back
when I next filled it and flooded the bathroom floor because the toilet was
not sealed from the caravan interior. I had to remove the toilet and lift
the (foam-backed) carpet to allow everything to dry out. If your overflowing
water drains into the cassette tray, then count yourself lucky!

John Miller

Old December 27th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Turps

David Griffith wrote on 25/12/2006 10:49:32:
I was wondering if any one has found a solution to emptying the header tank
for their loo. We have recently changed our van and the header tank for the
loo is different than our old system. On this system you have to remove the
cassette and then remove a grey plug, which sits slightly inside the van to
drain it. This is OK when you first do it as the pressure forces the water
away from the van. But as the tanks gets lower the pressure drops and the
water does not clear the van and will start to fill the tray where the
cassette goes.

Has any one found a mod the keeps the water away from the van?

TIA

Here is my solution. I bought a 21370 Drain Tube LH kit for 19.99
(ouch!) from my local caravan dealer. The only part of the kit I was
interested in was the grey rubber tube. Remove the rubber bung from the
bottom of the flush tank (have the tank empty first!). Insert in its
place the rubber tube (the end of the tube without the yellow ring). In
the other of the rubber tube insert the bung that came from the tank.
Thus you have extended the drain so that it can reach outside the
hatch. The hatch door closes over it OK. I have my tube hanging like a
flaccid male appendage (ie not the other way up - closing the door when
that way up may cause strain on the hose to make it loosen from the
tank (if it came adrift all would be lost)). When draining, slightly
withdraw the soil tank so the the rubber tube is held out clear of the
hatch by the tank. Remove bung and drain without any drip problems.

There is a sleeve around the rubber hose which takes no part in the
above proceedings. I removed mine, but I cannot remember how I did it.
It may slip off the end or perhaps I cut it off. It probably can be
left on if desired.

My phone conversation with Thetford (apart from expressing my
displeasure at such a ridiculous drain system) elicited that a small
quantity of water in the flush tank when travelling is safe and will
not cause spillage. Thetford did not think much of my modification, but
so far it has not leaked on me. I was very careful to push the rubber
hose well home into the hole at the tank base.

When striking camp I drain the tank as described and put in 1 litre for
the journey, and then fill up at the next stop.

The link:

http://thetford.kpnis.nl/upload/7972...aintube_LH.pdf

shows the kit's instruction leaflet. On the right hand side of the page
level with item E is a picture showing the rubber tube as item 1. The
rest of the leaflet is irrelevant.

Why did Swift install a Thetford bog model which had this daft system,
instead of my previous Avondale's system using the caravan's water
supply to flush? Also the soil tank full light is 2 x AA battery
powered, instead of using the caravan's 12V supply. So if I fill the
tank at bedtime and decide to empty it in the morning I will have to
buy two batteries (or go outside and remove them).

Turps