Long Term Battery Lay-Up

Old December 27th 06, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave

Default Long Term Battery Lay-Up

I am going to work away for 10 months and had originally intended to use my
caravan, but now I don't need to. Can anyone advise as to what to do with
the 110amp leisure battery during that time. The way I see it is that if I
had been using the caravan, then I would have been connected to the mains
supply and the battery would have been in use. Now, I'm not sure if I can
leave the caravan connected up while I'm away or if this will damage the
battery. any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Old December 27th 06, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Dave" wrote in message
I am going to work away for 10 months and had originally intended to use my
caravan, but now I don't need to. Can anyone advise as to what to do with
the 110amp leisure battery during that time. The way I see it is that if I
had been using the caravan, then I would have been connected to the mains
supply and the battery would have been in use. Now, I'm not sure if I can
leave the caravan connected up while I'm away or if this will damage the
battery. any help would be appreciated.

What does the manual for the caravan charger say?

If you don't have the manual there are plenty of chargers on the market
designed for permanent connection to a battery, take a look at www.cpc.co.uk
for example.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 27th 06, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I am going to work away for 10 months and had originally intended to use my
caravan, but now I don't need to. Can anyone advise as to what to do with the
110amp leisure battery during that time. The way I see it is that if I had been
using the caravan, then I would have been connected to the mains supply and the
battery would have been in use. Now, I'm not sure if I can leave the caravan
connected up while I'm away or if this will damage the battery. any help would
be appreciated.

What does the manual for the caravan charger say?

If you don't have the manual there are plenty of chargers on the market designed
for permanent connection to a battery, take a look at www.cpc.co.uk for example.

Rgds

Andy R

Trouble with CPC is that many Items are on back order

AND

I'm still waiting for a back order from Sept 2006

OK I've not paid for the order but it still a hassle

I stopped dealing with their subsidiary years ago because of the same problem

By the way they have an 01772 number ( Preston ) and their order lines are open
until late

HNY

DieSea

Old December 27th 06, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 08:31:36 -0000, "Andy R" wrote:

|"Dave" wrote in message
|I am going to work away for 10 months and had originally intended to use my
|caravan, but now I don't need to. Can anyone advise as to what to do with
|the 110amp leisure battery during that time. The way I see it is that if I
|had been using the caravan, then I would have been connected to the mains
|supply and the battery would have been in use. Now, I'm not sure if I can
|leave the caravan connected up while I'm away or if this will damage the
|battery. any help would be appreciated.
|
|What does the manual for the caravan charger say?
|
|If you don't have the manual there are plenty of chargers on the market
|designed for permanent connection to a battery, take a look at www.cpc.co.uk
|for example.

If you leave it on charge for months you should top up the cells before
leaving and every month or two after that.
Old December 27th 06, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

DieSea wrote:
"Andy R" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I am going to work away for 10 months and had originally intended to use my
caravan, but now I don't need to. Can anyone advise as to what to do with the
110amp leisure battery during that time. Andy R

Trouble with CPC is that many Items are on back order

AND

I'm still waiting for a back order from Sept 2006

OK I've not paid for the order but it still a hassle

I stopped dealing with their subsidiary years ago because of the same problem

By the way they have an 01772 number ( Preston ) and their order lines are open
until late

HNY

DieSea

I've been using one of these for about 3 years now with great success

http://www.draper.co.uk/Pages/Pageso...4%20-%2066.pdf

See Item 7 - intelligent battery charger.

The battery always comes out of the 'van after every trip, sits on
charge in the garage, and goes back in on the next outing.
The boat battery also comes out in the winter lay - up, is fullu
charged and then connected in paralell with the 'van battery, and both
are then connected to the charger.

Old December 27th 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
METWO

Hi Dave

Yes you should put it on charge, but I would put a timer on it, so it
possably turns on for one day a week only.

Old December 29th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
flybywire

I have a car battery charger which I use on slow charge
do I have to take the filler caps off the battery whilst charging to let gas
escape or leave them screwed down pls

Mike

o.uk...

Old December 29th 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:36:39 GMT, "flybywire" wrote:

|I have a car battery charger which I use on slow charge
|do I have to take the filler caps off the battery whilst charging to let gas
|escape or leave them screwed down pls

This was necessary when huge traction batteries were charged.

Leisure batteries charged on a car charger do give off *small* amounts of
gas. Look at the surface of the electrolyte of the battery when charging
and fully charged. Make sure your filler caps loose enough to dissipate
this gas to the atmosphere. IME loosened just a half turn would be enough
or OTT.

You also need to top up the cells with distilled/deionised water about once
a month.
Old December 31st 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Dave Fawthrop brought next idea :
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:36:39 GMT, "flybywire" wrote:

I have a car battery charger which I use on slow charge
do I have to take the filler caps off the battery whilst charging to let gas
escape or leave them screwed down pls

This was necessary when huge traction batteries were charged.

Leisure batteries charged on a car charger do give off *small* amounts of
gas. Look at the surface of the electrolyte of the battery when charging
and fully charged. Make sure your filler caps loose enough to dissipate
this gas to the atmosphere. IME loosened just a half turn would be enough
or OTT.

You also need to top up the cells with distilled/deionised water about once
a month.

If the charger is not a good modern automatic one then don't use it, it
could do more harm than good. Taking out the plugs has the risk that a
spark could cause an explosion inside the cells from the gas given off.
Always charge them in a well ventilated area, so the draft blows the
gas away. Get into the habit of either blowing the gas away or wafting
your hand over the connections before disconnecting, just in case there
is any gas still around. An hydrogen oxygen mix of gas is very
explosive.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old December 31st 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:39:38 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop brought next idea :
| On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:36:39 GMT, "flybywire" wrote:
|
| I have a car battery charger which I use on slow charge
| do I have to take the filler caps off the battery whilst charging to let gas
| escape or leave them screwed down pls
|
| This was necessary when huge traction batteries were charged.
|
| Leisure batteries charged on a car charger do give off *small* amounts of
| gas. Look at the surface of the electrolyte of the battery when charging
| and fully charged. Make sure your filler caps loose enough to dissipate
| this gas to the atmosphere. IME loosened just a half turn would be enough
| or OTT.
|
| You also need to top up the cells with distilled/deionised water about once
| a month.
|
|If the charger is not a good modern automatic one then don't use it, it
|could do more harm than good. Taking out the plugs has the risk that a
|spark could cause an explosion inside the cells from the gas given off.
|Always charge them in a well ventilated area, so the draft blows the
|gas away. Get into the habit of either blowing the gas away or wafting
|your hand over the connections before disconnecting, just in case there
|is any gas still around. An hydrogen oxygen mix of gas is very
|explosive.

Have you ever *looked* at the amount of this explosive mixture produced. I
have and it would produce no more than a small *pop*. Did your Chemistry
teacher not demonstrate this at school?