Gas BBQs: Favourites?

Old December 29th 06, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete Hinchliffe

Default Gas BBQs: Favourites?

Like an idiot, last year I forked over 100 for a Cadac DeLuxe Carri Chef
last year. Weighs a ton, extremely difficult to clean and I had a blow-back
that melted the control unit. So... I am going to cut my losses and get a
new gas-BBQ. Do you have any favorites? I want a reasonable sized cooking
area as there are four of us and it must be fairly durable. Ideas?
Suggestions?

I can't believe how well the Cadacs are selling. I also cannot believe
whichever marketing guru came up with the idea of describing this half ton
of iron as 'portable' and includes a photo of a 'He-man' type striding off
purposely across a mountain range with one strapped to his back!

Old December 29th 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham Wilson

"Pete Hinchliffe" wrote in message
Like an idiot, last year I forked over 100 for a Cadac DeLuxe Carri Chef
last year. Weighs a ton, extremely difficult to clean and I had a
blow-back that melted the control unit. So... I am going to cut my losses
and get a new gas-BBQ. Do you have any favorites? I want a reasonable
sized cooking area as there are four of us and it must be fairly durable.
Ideas? Suggestions?

I can't believe how well the Cadacs are selling. I also cannot believe
whichever marketing guru came up with the idea of describing this half ton
of iron as 'portable' and includes a photo of a 'He-man' type striding off
purposely across a mountain range with one strapped to his back!

Peter

The Cadac i sextremely easy to clean you just need a washing up bowl the
same size as the grill -available in France and of course ZA (where the
Cadac comes from)
The non stick version is far superior did you only get the bog standard one
??

As for Gas BBQ I will stick to the Cadac any day - can't fry an
egg/bacon/mushrooms and fried bread on a BBQ but I can torture a whole
Spanish campsite doing a Full English on the Cadac

LOL

From
Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield and Sharm El Sheikh
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad but it helps

Pictures at http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/Madcaravanner/

Old December 29th 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
malcolm

Hi
The same happend to our delux cadilac ,It melted the gas control unit. On
returning it to Mitchels camping at Horbury they refunded my money. It was
rather dangrous when it fried the control valve though. So can not grumble
as I had used it in france and here for over 9 months without problems ,
although we did find it rather heavy and bulky for the caravan.

malcolm

Old December 30th 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , Pete Hinchliffe
muttered:
Like an idiot, last year I forked over 100 for a Cadac DeLuxe Carri Chef
last year. Weighs a ton, extremely difficult to clean and I had a blow-back
that melted the control unit. So... I am going to cut my losses and get a
new gas-BBQ. Do you have any favorites? I want a reasonable sized cooking
area as there are four of us and it must be fairly durable. Ideas?

We did the same. Haven't had the blow-back, but find it heavy, bulky and
hard to clean. To clean it properly, you have to partly dismantle it and
clean a whole bunch of parts. And most of the extra kit for the 100
isn't much use.

We quite like it, but I don't think we'd buy another. We'd also like
suggestions for an alternative. At the moment, I'm using it because I
have it.
--
Andy
Old December 30th 06, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Pete Hinchliffe" wrote in message
Like an idiot, last year I forked over 100 for a Cadac DeLuxe Carri Chef
last year. Weighs a ton, extremely difficult to clean and I had a
blow-back that melted the control unit. So... I am going to cut my losses
and get a new gas-BBQ. Do you have any favorites? I want a reasonable
sized cooking area as there are four of us and it must be fairly durable.
Ideas? Suggestions?

I can't believe how well the Cadacs are selling. I also cannot believe
whichever marketing guru came up with the idea of describing this half ton
of iron as 'portable' and includes a photo of a 'He-man' type striding off
purposely across a mountain range with one strapped to his back!

My answer three or four years ago was to give up the BBQ. We bought an
electric twin hob (about 25) and use an electric hookup wherever we go.
Put the twin hob on a table outside under the canopy and just cook away
using fryingpan, saucepan or whatever to produce meals cooked 'al fresco'.
I can boil, fry, braise and casserole to my heart's content. I have as much
fun with this setup as I ever did with a BBQ and the meals are as good as
you would find anywhere. Mind you oysters do not need any cooking and that
is my favourite first course. Unfortunately these days only the odd one
here and there seems to work. They don't make them like they used to :-)
Regards to all and happy vanning in 2007.
Dave.

Old December 31st 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , Dave D
muttered:
Mind you oysters do not need any cooking and that
is my favourite first course. Unfortunately these days only the odd one
here and there seems to work.

All my oysters work, I rent them out to people - they do light cleaning
jobs.

--
Andy