Caralevel - self levelling system for tourer - WTB

Old January 1st 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Furry Fred

Default Caralevel - self levelling system for tourer - WTB

Does anyone know where I can get a Caralevel either new or secondhand.

It appears that Peter Pearce - who use to make them in Bedford shire -
has stopped business (probably retired) and I can't find anyone else who
makes or sells any such equipment. He used to tour the exhibitions
displaying his wares.

Just for the uninitiated - the Caralevel consists of a motor connected
to each steady, a central computer unit with leveling sensors an a
key/button switch for activating

If anyone knows of anyone who sells this or knows of someone with one
that they want to sell will they please send a reply to
474244 dot jb "at" gmail dot com
- if you get my meaning
--
Furry Fred - .. a very, very handsome, polite and generous gentleman,
who is extremely talented in so many fields and, oh, so modest

Old January 1st 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Furry Fred wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a Caralevel either new or secondhand.

It appears that Peter Pearce - who use to make them in Bedford shire -
has stopped business (probably retired) and I can't find anyone else
who makes or sells any such equipment. He used to tour the exhibitions
displaying his wares.

Just for the uninitiated - the Caralevel consists of a motor connected
to each steady, a central computer unit with leveling sensors an a
key/button switch for activating

If anyone knows of anyone who sells this or knows of someone with one
that they want to sell will they please send a reply to
474244 dot jb "at" gmail dot com
- if you get my meaning

I've always been very dubious about the things, and don't really see the
point.

Levelling end to end is ok, but I wouldn't fancy using this system to level
side to side without *first* making sure that the wheels were level. The
corner steadies are, after all, *steadies* not *jacks*!

Once you have levelled side to side - with ramps or whatever - it's trivial
to level end to end just by winding the jockey wheel up and down until a
spirit level on the hitch gives the right indication. So why do you need the
added weight and complication of a computerised, motorised system?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 1st 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

I've always been very dubious about the things, and don't really see the
point.

Levelling end to end is ok, but I wouldn't fancy using this system to
level side to side without *first* making sure that the wheels were level.
The corner steadies are, after all, *steadies* not *jacks*!

Once you have levelled side to side - with ramps or whatever - it's
trivial to level end to end just by winding the jockey wheel up and down
until a spirit level on the hitch gives the right indication. So why do
you need the added weight and complication of a computerised, motorised
system?

You obviously have not suffered with your back. This would device also be a
boon to the disabled ........

Old January 1st 07, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 18:08:08 -0000, "etomd" [email protected] wrote:

| I've always been very dubious about the things, and don't really see the
| point.
|
| Levelling end to end is ok, but I wouldn't fancy using this system to
| level side to side without *first* making sure that the wheels were level.
| The corner steadies are, after all, *steadies* not *jacks*!
|
| Once you have levelled side to side - with ramps or whatever - it's
| trivial to level end to end just by winding the jockey wheel up and down
| until a spirit level on the hitch gives the right indication. So why do
| you need the added weight and complication of a computerised, motorised
| system?
|
|You obviously have not suffered with your back. This would device also be a
|boon to the disabled ........

Given the choice of aggravating my bad back, or breaking the floor of the
van by using the steadies as jacks, I choose not to break my van.
Old January 1st 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

etomd [email protected] wrote:

I've always been very dubious about the things, and don't really see
the point.

Levelling end to end is ok, but I wouldn't fancy using this system to
level side to side without *first* making sure that the wheels were
level. The corner steadies are, after all, *steadies* not *jacks*!

Once you have levelled side to side - with ramps or whatever - it's
trivial to level end to end just by winding the jockey wheel up and
down until a spirit level on the hitch gives the right indication.
So why do you need the added weight and complication of a
computerised, motorised system?

You obviously have not suffered with your back. This would device
also be a boon to the disabled ........

When do you use your back? It's presumably not so bad that you can't drive?
You use the car to position the low side on (light-weight!) ramps until your
assistant declares that it is level side to side. You then unhitch - which
you need to do anyway - back or no back. I presume that, rather than lifting
the hitch manually, you wind it off the ball with the jockey wheel? You then
move the car, and adjust the hitch height - again with the jockey wheel - to
achieve fore and aft levelling. Finally, you wind down the corner
*steadies*. By all means, use an attachment on a battery-operated drill (I
do!) to save your back.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 1st 07, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Furry Fred" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't seen one for ages. They were quite expensive and heavy. Most folk
now use a cordless drill and extension on cost grounds alone.

Cheers

Old January 1st 07, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

I treat your remarks with the contempt it deserves.

Old January 2nd 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

etomd [email protected] wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

When do you use your back? It's presumably not so bad that you can't
drive? You use the car to position the low side on (light-weight!)
ramps until your assistant declares that it is level side to side.
You then unhitch - which you need to do anyway - back or no back. I
presume that, rather than lifting the hitch manually, you wind it
off the ball with the jockey wheel? You then move the car, and
adjust the hitch height - again with the jockey wheel - to achieve
fore and aft levelling. Finally, you wind down the corner
*steadies*. By all means, use an attachment on a battery-operated
drill (I do!) to save your back.

I treat your remarks with the contempt it deserves.

I interpret that you mean that you reluctantly agree, and can't think of any
rational counter-arguments.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 2nd 07, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

[...]

Actually I can but unlike you I speak from experience being someone who has
seven vertebrae fused together in the lower lumbar region making bending
nigh impossible. However I do enjoy my caravanning and use whatever means at
my disposal to continue to do so. I await your reply with interest (I think
not).