OT First MOT and warranty ending.

Old January 3rd 07, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default OT First MOT and warranty ending.

Hi,
My car is 3 years old in 3 weeks time and the warranty ends then and MOT is
required.
My friend with same make/model was in the same situation last November, took
it to the Main dealer for Service, approx 150 and MOT approx 500. They
were told the failures put right for the MOT were not covered by the 3 year
warranty.
I'm appauled.
I wish to control this better. Can I go to my local MOT garage, in past
I've found him to be honest, before the first MOT is due? My idea if it
fails to give me time to think/argue the warranty side of things with the
main dealer. If a failure and not covered by waranty I would consider
rectification away from main dealer and would have the annual service done
ealsewhere as well.

Advice on how others dealt with a 3 year old car welcome.

(I'm down on the Main dealer all ready as I have a fault, not an MOT item,
which he as not repaired under warranty and I've reported this to the
manufacturer and I await help from them.)

Please reply to News Group

Old January 3rd 07, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 22:29:07 GMT, "David"
wrote:

[...]

Firstly get it in for an MOT quick so if it fails on anything it's
still in warranty.
Use a different dealer even if it means traveling a few miles, try to
get some feedback on other dealers before committing to one.
Dealers vary enormously in quality of service, my local dealer was
great with my last car every little fault was put right under warranty
courtesy car always supplied & I brought the car s/h privately.
It paid off I brought a new car from him 3 months ago.

Lenny
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk

Old January 3rd 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

David has brought this to us :

I wish to control this better. Can I go to my local MOT garage, in past
I've found him to be honest, before the first MOT is due? My idea if it
fails to give me time to think/argue the warranty side of things with the
main dealer. If a failure and not covered by waranty I would consider
rectification away from main dealer and would have the annual service done
ealsewhere as well.

Warranties usually exclude fair wear and tear items -items which you
can expect to wear out with time and use. The fine print will often
exclude very much more than you would expect.

Advice on how others dealt with a 3 year old car welcome.

(I'm down on the Main dealer all ready as I have a fault, not an MOT item,
which he as not repaired under warranty and I've reported this to the
manufacturer and I await help from them.)

For second and subsequent MOT's I know you can get it done a little
early (within the month before its due) and get upto a 13 month MOT.
Not sure whether the same would apply to a first MOT, despite having
had one done last August. One of mine was due on the 27th January 2007,
so I had it done on the 29th December (last week) and the new one
expires 27th January 2008.

Irrespective of the warranty...
The point is if it fails, you may need time to get it sorted out - once
the three years are up, you can only drive it to and from a (not too
distant) MOT station, with an appointment prearranged.

If you know a local MOT station to be reliable, take it there
especially if they only do MOT's with no interest in its pass or fail.
I take mine to the same place I have used for the past twenty years.
They don't do much, other than servicing and MOT's and they know they
will not get any work out of failing it - they have always been very
fair with me.

I always make my appointments for the earliest possible date - such
that I do not loose out on my 13 month MOT's. The month remaining then
gives me the time to sort out any problems should it fail - able to
drive it around with a valid MOT, before resubmitting it. Usually I
resubmit the same day having repaired any minor defects, though it is
still good know I have almost a month to play.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old January 3rd 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Lenny wrote on 03/01/2007 :
Dealers vary enormously in quality of service, my local dealer was
great with my last car every little fault was put right under warranty
courtesy car always supplied & I brought the car s/h privately.

My experience with main dealers has been very different. I have never
found one I would trust. I prefer the smaller, more personal types of
garages. I just don't like the conveyor style of servicing and repair,
where your vehicle is whipped away out of sight and you are left
dealing with a guy on a service desk -all very impersonal. I prefer to
discuss with guy doing the actual work and be able see the work being
done.

Old January 4th 07, 06:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Motorola

Why people go to the main dealer beats me. You can get your car serviced at
any reputable garage as long as they use approved parts, (while your vehicle
is still under manufactures warrenty) as for the Mot Test I would get the
test done at your local garage, should it fail on any thing that is covered
by your warrenty, get the dealer to make good.You will have 10 working days
to do this and return car back for retest, you will have to pay a retest fee
but on the whole will still be cheaper than your dealer.

Old January 4th 07, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 07:44:40 -0000, "Motorola"
wrote:

Why people go to the main dealer beats me. You can get your car serviced at
any reputable garage as long as they use approved parts, (while your vehicle
is still under manufactures warrenty)

True, but with most cars only requiring one service a year these days
it's not really worth it as for the sake of a hundred quid. The
potential grief you may have if you had a serious warranty claim, if
not serviced by a main dealer they may turn the claim down & it would
be down to you to prove it was not due to the servicing. Probably much
more costly than the extra 100 quid the service would have cost.

Old January 4th 07, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 22:29:07 GMT, "David" wrote:

|Hi,
|My car is 3 years old in 3 weeks time and the warranty ends then and MOT is
|required.
|My friend with same make/model was in the same situation last November, took
|it to the Main dealer for Service, approx ?150 and MOT approx ?500. They
|were told the failures put right for the MOT were not covered by the 3 year
|warranty.

I sent my almost out of warranty car to the main dealers a week early. for
Service and MOT, to ensure that any repairs were done under warranty, No
probs, but if there had been I would have played I would have played hell.
BTW They can start the MOT up to a month after the test.
Old January 4th 07, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

For second and subsequent MOT's I know you can get it done a little
early (within the month before its due) and get upto a 13 month MOT.
Not sure whether the same would apply to a first MOT, despite having
had one done last August. One of mine was due on the 27th January
2007, so I had it done on the 29th December (last week) and the new
one expires 27th January 2008.

My understanding is that this also applies to the first MOT. If you have it
tested within a month of becoming due, and present the registration document
to the tester, the certificate will be dated to expire 12 months after the
date of first registration rather than 12 months after the test.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 4th 07, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campa-Man

"David" wrote in message
[...]

In my time with company cars I have had from new, two Fords, two Peugeots
and a Vauxhall and none of them failed there first MOT, if serviced and
looked after as far as I can see they shouldn't fail as you should be
monitering wear and tear items like tyres and brakes etc. and you wouldn't
expect things like the steering and suspension components to be worn out in
that time, unless you are doing exceedingly high mileage.

Old January 4th 07, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

Campa-Man wrote:

In my time with company cars I have had from new, two Fords, two Peugeots
and a Vauxhall and none of them failed there first MOT, if serviced and
looked after as far as I can see they shouldn't fail as you should be
monitering wear and tear items like tyres and brakes etc. and you wouldn't
expect things like the steering and suspension components to be worn out in
that time, unless you are doing exceedingly high mileage.

I understand tha the government is planning to extent the period before
the first MOT to four years on the basis that so few vehicles fail
after three years. They are also looking at extending the interval to
two years between tests as is the case in the most of the rest of
Europe.
Predictably, this is producing howls of discontent from the motor trade.