Ford Focus

Old January 4th 07, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default Ford Focus

I have been given a Ford Focus 1.8 petrol as a company car, but I am
concerned about its ability to tow my caravan.
Weightwise, it works out ok - at about 1200 kerbweight and a fully
laden caravan weighing in at about 1080 I am happy with the 90% ratio.

However, I did a search on whattowcar.com and it said I would have
trouble getting it to start off uphill and am worried that I will
struggle if I get stopped in traffic on a hill. Can anyone advise me
here please? I dont understand torque...so couldnt say whether it has
a flat curve or whatever its called or not!

Old January 4th 07, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On 4 Jan 2007 03:07:51 -0800, wrote:

I have been given a Ford Focus 1.8 petrol as a company car, but I am
concerned about its ability to tow my caravan.
Weightwise, it works out ok - at about 1200 kerbweight and a fully
laden caravan weighing in at about 1080 I am happy with the 90% ratio.

However, I did a search on whattowcar.com and it said I would have
trouble getting it to start off uphill and am worried that I will
struggle if I get stopped in traffic on a hill. Can anyone advise me
here please? I dont understand torque...so couldnt say whether it has
a flat curve or whatever its called or not!

You are unlikely to have any problems, it might not be as quick off
the mark as you want r as sprightly as you would like but it will do
the job and as you say the weights are in the acceptable zone, not
perfect but they will do. I towed my first caravan, max laden weight
750kg with a Skoda 120L ( the one all the jokes were made of ) which
had a kerb weight of 900kg and even that was able to keep up when on
the road.

Bill Lord

Old January 4th 07, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bert W

wrote:
I have been given a Ford Focus 1.8 petrol as a company car, but I am
concerned about its ability to tow my caravan.
Weightwise, it works out ok - at about 1200 kerbweight and a fully
laden caravan weighing in at about 1080 I am happy with the 90% ratio.

However, I did a search on whattowcar.com and it said I would have
trouble getting it to start off uphill and am worried that I will
struggle if I get stopped in traffic on a hill. Can anyone advise me
here please? I dont understand torque...so couldnt say whether it has
a flat curve or whatever its called or not!

Depends on the hill.... On sea level 11% or 12% drive off is possible. We
give this part only one star because force will decrease rather sharp on
higher levels above sea. On 1500 m the max would be 8 or 9%. So you'd better
not stop on a 12% road there... Try to keep the revs above 3750 and select
the proper gear at an early stage. Shifting down sluggish on a hill will
drop the speed quickly and you'll end up under the ideal rpm.

But that's not the only part, that take off thing... When you end up in a
traffic jam on the road to the Gotthard tunnel for example, it's not the
steepness itself (6%) but the times you stop and go. But that has nothing to
do with this car, just in general. ;-)

--
Regards, Bert W
www.whattowcar.com