Gas Heater

Old January 8th 07, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeremy Pinwhistle

Default Gas Heater

Hi,
The gas heater which also has a fan for circulating air around the caravan
works ok; the only problem with it is that it sometimes takes a few HUNDRED
clicks of the igniter before lighting!!!
I might be exaggerating slightly!
I was wondering if I can buy a kit or parts to rectify this, or is is just
as easy to get an approved engineer to do it please?
TIA,
Steve.

Old January 8th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
georgina Smith

I was wondering if I can buy a kit or parts to rectify this, or is is just
as easy to get an approved engineer to do it please?
TIA,
Steve.

Steve,
As I am sure you are aware it is always recommended that any gas appliance
is repaired and serviced by a trained, qualified professional. Having said
that, slow ignition could be poor gas supply (ensure that the supply cock is
in the fully open position), blocked burners (in which case an engineer
would use an airspray such as that used to clean keyboards to clear the
accumulated carbon deposits from the burner) or incorrect spark
gap/misaligned spark system. (refer to the handbook for specifications).
Both my heater and my fridge take a few goes to light as there is air in the
pipes when the gas supply is initially connected at the bottle. Perhaps
this is your problem?

Old January 8th 07, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"georgina Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Does your igniter have a battery power supply? If so does it need changing?

Old January 8th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeremy Pinwhistle

Thanks for that Georgina. I'll check those things out. It can't be air in
the pipe, because of the length of time I spend trying to light it, all the
air would have been 'pushed' out!!
Thanks again for the info.
Steve.

Old January 8th 07, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:00:09 -0000, "Jeremy Pinwhistle"
wrote:

|Hi,
|The gas heater which also has a fan for circulating air around the caravan
|works ok; the only problem with it is that it sometimes takes a few HUNDRED
|clicks of the igniter before lighting!!!
|I might be exaggerating slightly!
|I was wondering if I can buy a kit or parts to rectify this, or is is just
|as easy to get an approved engineer to do it please?

Mine does the same, because the gas does not get to the heater after air
has entered the lines when disconnected or switched off. Light the gas hob
to get gas *there*. Hold the control down continually to get the gas into
the heater while regularly pressing the clicker, to ensure that it does not
pop too loudly when it eventually lights.
Old January 9th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"georgina Smith" wrote in message

Both my heater and my fridge take a few goes to light as there is air in
the
pipes when the gas supply is initially connected at the bottle. Perhaps
this is your problem?

We always light the gas hob to draw gas through the pipe before igniting the
fridge. We rarely use the heater when we first set up.

Mary