Aussie wanting to tour UK and Europe

Old January 9th 07, 05:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Badger1954

Default Aussie wanting to tour UK and Europe

Hi,

I am an assistant manager for the Australian Caravanners Forum:
http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum
and run a free web site called Australian Caravan Park Reports:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/

A member put me onto this forum when I asked the following question
(abridged) of the Caravanners Forum today. I hope someone over there
can help me. Thanks in advance.

SWMBO is full swing into planning our 7 weeks in the UK and Europe for
June thru August. 2 adults, 2 teenagers. It looks like we'll be using
a Britz style campervan for part of the time in the UK, and another in
Europe. The other time in the UK we'll use a standard car, and
narrow-boating for a few days. We'll take the Chunnel over to Europe.
We'll take a day or two to hassle the Tour de France. Here's some
questions, and I hope someone can help.

Either in UK or Europe, can vans park overnight in lay-ways? Are the
lay-ways with or without toilets? Would you stay at them?
What are caravan parks like in the UK and Europe? That's an open
question, isn't it. How about comparing them to Aussie parks, maybe
compare STAR ratings.
What are national parks like in the UK and Europe for camping
(campervanning)?
Is there a minimum time for staying in parks or national parks?
We've been told about 5-star tent camping. Anyone done that?
Any UK/Europe caravanning/camping websites worthy of a look-see (I know
of this one: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/)?
Anything else about UK/Europe camping/campervanning we'll need to know
about?
Badger

Old January 9th 07, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lex M

"Badger1954" wrote in news:1168323236.042227.232050
@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Any UK/Europe caravanning/camping websites worthy of a look-see

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/

--
Regards, Lex
http://biod.net

Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old January 9th 07, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham Wilson

"Badger1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
Either in UK or Europe, can vans park overnight in lay-ways? Are the
lay-ways with or without toilets? Would you stay at them?

Badger

Badger
The simple answer her is
the UK Police frown on Fly camping as we get so much trouble with
"travellers"
In France there is a System of "Aires" where "Camping Cars" (motorhomes) can
overnight free of charge
BUT in certain parts and definitely not on the Autoroutes would I even
consider this due to the prevalence of Gassing of the occupants by East
European Itinerants (Gypsies) but the town ones are a nice idea and I'm
jealous because as we have a Caravan we can't use them

From
Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield and Sharm El Sheikh
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad but it helps

Pictures at http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/Madcaravanner/

Old January 9th 07, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 8 Jan 2007 22:13:56 -0800, "Badger1954" wrote:

|A member put me onto this forum when I asked the following question
|(abridged) of the Caravanners Forum today
^^^^^^^^^^.

Chinese whispers are the bane of human communication "Send three and
fourpence we are going to a dance"

Then why not tell the person to subscribe to uk.rec.caravanning, which is
available worldwide. This sort of question is quite common here, and gets
reasonable answers.

Web based forums are IMO absolute cr*p compared to usenet. Especially as
they are often commercial outfits bloodsucking usenet. such as diybanter
spit

newsreader, say Agent, and a newsserver, say news.individual.net. This
will allow them, among other goodies to see only *new* posts.
Old January 9th 07, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

Web based forums are IMO absolute cr*p compared to usenet. Especially as
they are often commercial outfits bloodsucking usenet. such as diybanter
spit

Not sure I agree in all of my interests.
Caravanning I have not found a good Web Forum and thus I must use this NG,
which is fine except for all the rubish non caravanning posts that appear
from trouble makers.
For my other interests I use Web Forums and they are great. (Film
Presentation and Re-enacting 1940's and FreeCycling/Recycling.)
So I conclude it just depends on the interest.

Please reply to News Group

Old January 9th 07, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Graham Wilson wrote:

BUT in certain parts and definitely not on the Autoroutes would I even
consider this due to the prevalence of Gassing of the occupants by East
European Itinerants (Gypsies)

Urban myth, shirley?

The main 'problem' about overnighting on an Aire is the refrigerated
lorry parked in in the next slot and the pervading smell of pee.

Come off the Autoroute and you can usually find a nice little
Municipal within walking distance from the best restaurant in town.

Old January 9th 07, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Mr W Z Boson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Graham Wilson wrote:

BUT in certain parts and definitely not on the Autoroutes would I even
consider this due to the prevalence of Gassing of the occupants by East
European Itinerants (Gypsies)

Urban myth, shirley?

The main 'problem' about overnighting on an Aire is the refrigerated
lorry parked in in the next slot and the pervading smell of pee.

Come off the Autoroute and you can usually find a nice little
Municipal within walking distance from the best restaurant in town.

You mean just like any motorway service area in the UK where the Lorries park and
the caravans have to park along side

DieSea

Old January 9th 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

DieSea wrote:
"Mr W Z Boson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Graham Wilson wrote:

BUT in certain parts and definitely not on the Autoroutes would I even
consider this due to the prevalence of Gassing of the occupants by East
European Itinerants (Gypsies)

Urban myth, shirley?

The main 'problem' about overnighting on an Aire is the refrigerated
lorry parked in in the next slot and the pervading smell of pee.

Come off the Autoroute and you can usually find a nice little
Municipal within walking distance from the best restaurant in town.

You mean just like any motorway service area in the UK where the Lorries park and
the caravans have to park along side

DieSea

Yep.

Except that in the UK the privilege will set you back a tenner.

Old January 9th 07, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Graham Wilson" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Please, please, please, stop repeating this story as though it were a fact.
It is untrue. It is a myth. It is a fairy story. It is nonsense. I use
the 'Aires' for overnight stops almost every year.
I paste below the extremely useful post to this NG by Alun Jenkins on
9.11.06. which I thought had settled it once and for all.
Regards.
Dave

"Since this debate rattles on from time to time, with much deliberation over
how and what, I thought I'd try to get an expert view on the feasibility of
using narcotic gases to knock out the occupants of motorhomes/caravans.
Since they do this all the time, so to speak, I thought I'd ask the Royal
College of Anaesthetists. Somewhat to my surprise, they provided the
following reply. Interesting isn't it? Sleep tight folks! "

Dear Mr Kirby,
Thank you for your enquiry. I would like to inform you that you are not the
first enquirer with this question. Professor Hatch, our Clinical Advisor,
has given the following previous comments:
"I can give you a categorical assurance that it would not be possible to
render someone unconscious with ether without their knowledge, even if they
were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a
relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant
affect of the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It
takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct
application to the face on a rag, and the concentration needed by some sort
of spray into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and
would be obvious to anyone the next day.
There are much more powerful agents around now, some of which are almost
odourless. However, these would be unlikely to be able to achieve the effect
you describe, and the cost would be huge enough to deter any thief unless he
was after the crown jewels. The only practicable agent is probably the one
used by the Russians in the Moscow siege - I advised the BBC on their
programme about this. The general feeling is that they used an agent which
is not available outside the KGB!
Finally, unsupervised anaesthesia, which is what we are really talking about
is very dangerous. In the Moscow siege about 20% of victims died from
asphyxia, because their airways were unprotected. If the reports you talk
about are true I would have expected a significant number of deaths or cases
of serious brain damage to have been reported."
I hope this information is helpful to you.

Regards,
Ms Shirani Nadarajah
General Administrator
Professional Standards Directorate

The Royal College of Anaesthetists"

Old January 9th 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Dave D wrote:
[...]

I suspect this story comes as a result of the fear of "Johnny
Foreigners" in general and "Gypos" in particular. Last year we stopped
for lunch on an Aire near to Rouen and an English bloke from a
campervan parked nearby actually came to ask me if I thought this
"gassing business" was a big risk. I was tempted to tell him that it
happened to me the night before, but desisted.

In the past 6 years we've spent a total of 18 months touring France,
Italy & Spain and never a sniff of any problem. It is noticeable though
how topics like this come up whenever you get into "chatting" with
fellow-English campers. It's never happened to them of course, but
always to a "friend of a friend".