Suction Towing Mirror

Old January 9th 07, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

Default Suction Towing Mirror

Has anyone any experience of using one of these mirrors?
It appears to be a very good idea, I have always had a problem getting
a clip on mirror adjusted correctly, but I am a bit concerned about
the effect the extra weight would have on the cars mirror motor.
Old January 10th 07, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

I have had a pair since they first came out and am very pleased with them
they are the easiest to fit and most controllable of all towing mirrors I
have ever had. That does not mean that they are perfect I have several
criticisms of them as follows:-

I bought a flat and a convex mirror, flat for nearside convex offside. In my
opinion the convex one is too convex, it can be difficult to judge how near
or far an overtaking vehicle is they are usually a lot closer than you
think. This problem becomes even more difficult at night.

The car mirrors need to be perfectly dry before you can fix the towing
mirrors, even if they are slightly damp they are likely to fall off after a
few miles.

As with all towing mirrors a passing truck can cause them to be knocked out
of alignment.

If your car has heated mirrors you cannot use them with the towing mirrors
attached again they drop off.

Having said that in the time that I have had them they have only dropped off
3 times, twice after fixing when car mirrors were wet and once when
switching car heated mirrors on. If they do fall off there is a string which
you wrap round the car mirror and holds them. When they have fallen off I
have not lost them, they have not broken and they have not done any damage
to the car body work.

Some of these problems may now have been overcome as I had mine just after
they were introduced.

On the positive side the fact that they are stuck on to the car mirrors
means that you can adjust from within the car and if they get knocked or
blown by a lorry they are easy to correct without leaving the car.

I recommend them

Tony Falla

Old January 10th 07, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

Thanks for the answer Tony.
I am surprised that they fall off if the glass is damp, you have to
spit on most suckers to make them stick.
The site I found them on recommends that a flat glass mirror is used
on the drivers side, because of the distance perspective thing, and a
convex one on the near side. I have no idea why a wide angle view is
needed on that side and I would have thought that distance was just as
important on the near side after overtaking.
My main concern was that the motors in the mirrors wouldn't last with
the extra weight, I had to replace a motor in one of mine (Volvo S70),
and they have really frail looking plastic gearing in them. But you
have not reported any problems with them.

Thanks again,

John.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:56:19 -0000, "Tony Falla"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old January 10th 07, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John G

Tony, If you were buying again would you buy two flat mirrors?
I assume they come as singles so you could do that.

Thanks

John G

Old January 11th 07, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

No I would still buy convex for off-side, I have tried the flat one on the
off-side and personally prefer the wider field of view given by the convex.
I just wish that the field of view was smaller, more in line with the one
already on the car.

Tony

Old January 11th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ludwig Van Beethoven

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:44:52 -0000, "John G"
wrote:

Tony, If you were buying again would you buy two flat mirrors?
I assume they come as singles so you could do that.

I use them same mirrors but use the flat on the drivers side and the
convex on the passenger side as per the manufacturers instructions. I
think they are great and have no real criticisms. I can't understand
how Tony could use them the other way around because of the problem of
judging distance when overtaking. When I went to France I had to pull
over and swap my mirrors around due to driving on the other side of
the road and needing to use a different mirror for judging whether it
was safe to pull out for overtaking. Using the convex mirror on the
drivers side makes the cars seem miles back and then next thing they
are alongside you.

....Ludwig
Old January 12th 07, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

I tow with a Shogun which has pretty big mirrors anyway. I mount the suction
mirror at the top of the car mirror which still gives me a view alongside
the outfit but not behind. Using the combination of both mirrors I can now
judge exactly where oncoming traffic is.

Tony