insurance with ONLY a hitchlock?

Old September 24th 03, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Marie

Default insurance with ONLY a hitchlock?

Hello all,

After being completely messed around by an insurance company (that i'd
better not mention here, you never know someone here might work for them?) I
have had to cancel my caravan insurance policy as they have just changed
their decalarations) without telling me!) so that I now require both a
hitchlock AND a wheel clamp when it is left unattended.

I'm trying to find an insurance company who will insure me with just a
hitchlock (I don't have a wheel clamp) - is anyone here insured with a
company that they know this is ok with?

thanks in advance,
Marie

Old September 24th 03, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Marie" wrote in message
Hello all,

After being completely messed around by an insurance company (that i'd
better not mention here, you never know someone here might work for them?)

have had to cancel my caravan insurance policy as they have just changed
their decalarations) without telling me!) so that I now require both a
hitchlock AND a wheel clamp when it is left unattended.

I'm trying to find an insurance company who will insure me with just a
hitchlock (I don't have a wheel clamp) - is anyone here insured with a
company that they know this is ok with?

i'd personaly just get a wheel clamp, unless the insurance co specifies a
particular one, get the cheapest you can, they're all about the same.. i.e
the diddies can get them off in 5 seconds, so it's a show thing really,
prolly to stop deranged kids joyriding in them or something )

if you want a wheelclamp that will deter most thieves, then you'll need to
spend a few hundered quid fo one custom built to your vans wheel profile,
all the universal ones have weaknesses, caused by having adjustable arms and
not being able to loop behind the rim efectivaly,
of course if someone wants your van, a portable oxy torch will have both
hitch lock and wheel clamp off in seconds,

so i'd rather have insurance with a few silly restrictions than not have any
at all,

if you don't like the idea of fitting the wheel clamp each time you park the
van, get one anyway, bend it about so it looks like it's been forced off the
wheel, and keep it in the boot of the car/garage, if the van gets nicked,
place the pre-mangled clamp on the drive where the van once stood, then
report it missing, saying the thieves must have bent hte clamp to nick it,
usual disclamer, what i say aint worth ****, it's for information only

Old September 24th 03, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:42:54 +0100, "Marie"
wrote:

| Hello all,
|
| After being completely messed around by an insurance company (that i'd
| better not mention here, you never know someone here might work for them?) I
| have had to cancel my caravan insurance policy as they have just changed
| their decalarations) without telling me!) so that I now require both a
| hitchlock AND a wheel clamp when it is left unattended.
|
| I'm trying to find an insurance company who will insure me with just a
| hitchlock (I don't have a wheel clamp) - is anyone here insured with a
| company that they know this is ok with?

CCC demand both hitchlock and wheel lock. If you do not have them on and
the van is stolen, they only increase your excess. This excess is
several times the cost of the locks.

IMO hitch lock and wheel clamp are a good investment, as is the time
required to fit them whenever the van is left unattended.

Dave F

Old September 24th 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Marie

i'd personaly just get a wheel clamp, unless the insurance co specifies a
particular one, get the cheapest you can, they're all about the same.. i.e
the diddies can get them off in 5 seconds, so it's a show thing really,
prolly to stop deranged kids joyriding in them or something )

Thanks for the advice on wheel clamps - i've been sort of avoiding getting
one as a) my caravan (as lovely as she is to me, is pretty old and I have to
admit worth relatively little) and b) they threw a hitchlock in for free.

sooo, if I can avoid spending extra money on a clamp I will do, afterall
that's x I could be spending on extra nights on camp sites

cheers,
Marie

Old September 24th 03, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Delboy

news
wrote:

| Hello all,
|
| After being completely messed around by an insurance company (that i'd
| better not mention here, you never know someone here might work for

them?) I
| have had to cancel my caravan insurance policy as they have just changed
| their decalarations) without telling me!) so that I now require both a
| hitchlock AND a wheel clamp when it is left unattended.
|
| I'm trying to find an insurance company who will insure me with just a
| hitchlock (I don't have a wheel clamp) - is anyone here insured with a
| company that they know this is ok with?

CCC demand both hitchlock and wheel lock. If you do not have them on and
the van is stolen, they only increase your excess. This excess is
several times the cost of the locks.

IMO hitch lock and wheel clamp are a good investment, as is the time
required to fit them whenever the van is left unattended.

Dave F

Agreed, and the money spent on a wheel clamp should soon be reclaimed in
lower insurance.

Derek

Old September 24th 03, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

wrote:

| Hello all,
|
| After being completely messed around by an insurance company (that i'd
| better not mention here, you never know someone here might work for

them?) I
| have had to cancel my caravan insurance policy as they have just

changed
| their decalarations) without telling me!) so that I now require both a
| hitchlock AND a wheel clamp when it is left unattended.
|
| I'm trying to find an insurance company who will insure me with just a
| hitchlock (I don't have a wheel clamp) - is anyone here insured with a
| company that they know this is ok with?

CCC demand both hitchlock and wheel lock. If you do not have them on

and
the van is stolen, they only increase your excess. This excess is
several times the cost of the locks.

IMO hitch lock and wheel clamp are a good investment, as is the time
required to fit them whenever the van is left unattended.

Dave F

Agreed, and the money spent on a wheel clamp should soon be reclaimed in
lower insurance.

My problem with all these locks and other devices is the time involved in
fitting them, the hassle of carrying them and an ever expanding key ring to
carry around when you're away. This, together with the fact that none of
them are pikey proof anyway, would make me search for an insurance company
without these conditions, try CIS, they used to be pretty good.
It's got to be better not to have these restrictions, say for example you go
away somewhere for a weekend and when you arrive on site you find you've
lost the keys to the wheel clamp so you can't lock the van up. What do you
do, go all the way home to get the spare set, stay on site for the whole
time so you don't leave the van unattended or go out for the day and hope it
doesn't get nicked cos your insurance isn't valid?

Rgds

Andy R

Old September 24th 03, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Marie" wrote in message
Hello all,

After being completely messed around by an insurance company (that i'd
better not mention here, you never know someone here might work for them?)

have had to cancel my caravan insurance policy as they have just changed
their decalarations) without telling me!) so that I now require both a
hitchlock AND a wheel clamp when it is left unattended.

I'm trying to find an insurance company who will insure me with just a
hitchlock (I don't have a wheel clamp) - is anyone here insured with a
company that they know this is ok with?

thanks in advance,
Marie

If you are old enough (50) then I _understand_ SAGA only require one or the
other, may be wrong but worth checking if you 'qualify'.

Regards ...... Richard

---

Old September 24th 03, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Marie

If you are old enough (50) then I _understand_ SAGA only require one or
the
other, may be wrong but worth checking if you 'qualify'.

Thanks, already tried them and yes you're right you only need one or
t'other....but only if you 're over 50. Oddly enough Caravan Wise have a
similar policy - except you have to be over 34! I wonder who comes up with
these ages?

Unfortuantely i don't qualify for either so still looking.....

Thanks anyway,
Marie

Old September 24th 03, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ed

wrote:

Hello all,

After being completely messed around by an insurance company (that i'd
better not mention here, you never know someone here might work for them?) I
have had to cancel my caravan insurance policy as they have just changed
their decalarations) without telling me!) so that I now require both a
hitchlock AND a wheel clamp when it is left unattended.

I'm trying to find an insurance company who will insure me with just a
hitchlock (I don't have a wheel clamp) - is anyone here insured with a
company that they know this is ok with?

thanks in advance,
Marie

Some companies ask for two put of whatever security devices are
available for your van.
Hitchlock, Wheel clamp, leg locks, mule, alarm etc.

Ed

Old September 24th 03, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

I'm trying to find an insurance company who will insure me with just a
hitchlock (I don't have a wheel clamp) - is anyone here insured with a
company that they know this is ok with?

Caravan Club and the cover is the best you can get. I sue a hitchlock
and wheelclamp at home, but generally just a hitchlock when away, but
then when we are away there is always an awning on the side which adds
to the time needed to nick the caravan, plus of course the wardens at
the site entrance are also a deterrant.

(remove the spam to reply)