Mondeo tdci 130 is it a good towing car

Old January 14th 07, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ticker

Default Mondeo tdci 130 is it a good towing car

Mondeo tdci 130 is it a good towing car and also is it reasonable on fuel
when towing

I have a bailey ranger

My previous car was 1800 petrol mondeo which was a bit sluggish towing

thanks

mike

Old January 14th 07, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
peter g

"Ticker" wrote in message
. uk...
Mondeo tdci 130 is it a good towing car and also is it reasonable on fuel
when towing

I have a bailey ranger

My previous car was 1800 petrol mondeo which was a bit sluggish towing

This version of the Mondeo is an excellent towcar. Not sure what weight
your caravan is, but I have a Challenger that is around 90% of the car's
weight and it tows absolutely perfectly. Went to Italy last summer through
the Alps with no problem whatsoever. You won't use 6th gear too much, other
than flattish motorway sections, but other than that loads of power. Like
you I had the 1800 petrol version before but in terms of towing they are as
alike as chalk and cheese!

My car (estate) averages around 47/48 solo, comes down to about 30 towing.
Compared to others I've had I reckon that's OK.

Pete

Old January 14th 07, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:20:58 GMT, "Ticker"
wrote:

Mondeo tdci 130 is it a good towing car and also is it reasonable on fuel
when towing

I have a bailey ranger

My previous car was 1800 petrol mondeo which was a bit sluggish towing

I bought a mondeo tdci 115 in August and it tows my Hymer Nova 470
laden to approx 1300kg with no problems at all. It covers 95% of the
motorways in 5th gear and the rest it romps up in 4th, the same
applies to major roads. On the trips I have had out with it it has
averaged 33mpg towing the caravan. The figures suggest that the 130
will be a better towcar than this and that economy will be about the
same.

Bill Lord

Old January 15th 07, 03:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bert W

peter g wrote:
"Ticker" wrote in message
[...]

You've been in the Alps. No clutch problems I assume as you didn't mention
it. Did you had to take off from zero on an incline once or twice or never?
I'm not saying the 2.0 TDCi's have clutchprobs in general, but on our Dutch
forum there are some cases.

--
Regards, Bert W
www.whattowcar.com

Old January 15th 07, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

"Ticker" wrote in message
. uk...
Mondeo tdci 130 is it a good towing car and also is it reasonable on fuel
when towing

I have a bailey ranger

My previous car was 1800 petrol mondeo which was a bit sluggish towing

thanks

mike

I tow a bailey senator oklahoma with my mondeo tdci 130 estate. That's
about a 90% match, though as its just myself and wife we tend to put things
in the car rather than the van. Works like a dream.

Some of the estates (ghia upwards I think) have self levelling suspension.

The only problem we've found is getting the caravan nose weight down to the
75kg mondeo max. But that's not the car's fault!

Having said that, we fancy travelling to some CLs so are thinking of
switching to a 4x4 so we can cross fields a little more easily.

Old January 15th 07, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

Lovely car and excellent on towing, even half way up Callow Top on a hot
dusty day when someone in a Peugot burns his clutch out and blocks the road
completely, our car is the one before common rail. Only problems garages are
experiencing is faults occuring on the common rail engine as they get older.
Liz
Autopro Tools
Milton Keynes

. uk...

Old January 15th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
peter g

"Bert W" wrote in message

You've been in the Alps. No clutch problems I assume as you didn't mention
it. Did you had to take off from zero on an incline once or twice or
never?
I'm not saying the 2.0 TDCi's have clutchprobs in general, but on our
Dutch
forum there are some cases.

--
Regards, Bert W
www.whattowcar.com

As I said, no problems at all, clutch or otherwise. Didn't need to start
off from standing on the very steepest sections, but in some places the
traffic was slow which would have been harder on the clutch. Again, no
apparent problems.

Pete

Old February 27th 07, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

"TTT" schreef in bericht

Some of the estates (ghia upwards I think) have self levelling suspension.

The only problem we've found is getting the caravan nose weight down to
the 75kg mondeo max. But that's not the car's fault!

We had no levelling suspension on our 2001 Mondeo, but had good experiences
with some reinforced PRO-springs from Grayston engineering. (no rubbers)
Driving solo these springs have the same comfort, but fully loaded they are
50% stronger.
With google I also found these springs on www.carsupport.nl, but I cant read
dutch ;-).
John