Freeview

Old January 14th 07, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Default Freeview

Hi
I noticed when I was in my local Lidl store yesterday, that they had
Freeview boxes in stock for 39.99. As I'm toying with the idea of buying a
satellite dish and all the bits and pieces to go with it for the caravan, I
thought this may be a cheaper option. At the moment we don't have Freeview
in our area but it seems to be available in almost all the areas that we
tour, so if I bought one I wouldn't be able to try it out until we go
touring at a later date.
Have any got any thoughts or experiences with these Freview boxes?

TIA
Steve

Old January 14th 07, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

Steve wrote:
Hi
I noticed when I was in my local Lidl store yesterday, that they had
Freeview boxes in stock for 39.99.

http://www.argos.co.uk

have three different kinds at 24.99.

--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail
Old January 14th 07, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Steve" sr2000{at}talk21{dot}com wrote in message
Hi
I noticed when I was in my local Lidl store yesterday, that they had
Freeview boxes in stock for 39.99. As I'm toying with the idea of buying
a satellite dish and all the bits and pieces to go with it for the
caravan, I thought this may be a cheaper option. At the moment we don't
have Freeview in our area but it seems to be available in almost all the
areas that we tour, so if I bought one I wouldn't be able to try it out
until we go touring at a later date.
Have any got any thoughts or experiences with these Freview boxes?

I have several different boxes they all work as well as each other, only
differences are in features.
You should be OK in your caravan if you use a directional aerial.
Try it at home you might be surprised.
Put your postcode in here to know which direction to piont your aerial
http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

Please reply to News Group

Old January 14th 07, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Steve said the following on 14/01/2007 14:43:
Hi
I noticed when I was in my local Lidl store yesterday, that they had
Freeview boxes in stock for 39.99. As I'm toying with the idea of buying a
satellite dish and all the bits and pieces to go with it for the caravan, I
thought this may be a cheaper option. At the moment we don't have Freeview
in our area but it seems to be available in almost all the areas that we
tour, so if I bought one I wouldn't be able to try it out until we go
touring at a later date.
Have any got any thoughts or experiences with these Freview boxes?

TIA
Steve

These must be gold plated, many are now around 20-00 or given away with
TVs (Sainsburys 15" LCD TV + free Mogen Freeview box 129 December 2006
Jan 2007?) It will either work or not dependent on good signal and aerial

Roy
Old January 14th 07, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Steve" sr2000{at}talk21{dot}com wrote in message
Hi
I noticed when I was in my local Lidl store yesterday, that they had
Freeview boxes in stock for 39.99. As I'm toying with the idea of buying
a satellite dish and all the bits and pieces to go with it for the
caravan, I thought this may be a cheaper option. At the moment we don't
have Freeview in our area but it seems to be available in almost all the
areas that we tour, so if I bought one I wouldn't be able to try it out
until we go touring at a later date.
Have any got any thoughts or experiences with these Freview boxes?

TIA
Steve

If you put our postcode in the checkers then we are categorised as 'no
service' but I have been receiving all channels for about 3 years without a
hitch. However, I did take the trouble to have a better aerial fitted after
ours suffered storm damage an appropriate downlead.

If you try it at home you might be surprised the checker seems very
pessimistic.

Richard

Old January 14th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Steve sr2000{at}talk21{dot}com wrote:

Hi
I noticed when I was in my local Lidl store yesterday, that they had
Freeview boxes in stock for 39.99. As I'm toying with the idea of
buying a satellite dish and all the bits and pieces to go with it for
the caravan, I thought this may be a cheaper option. At the moment we
don't have Freeview in our area but it seems to be available in
almost all the areas that we tour, so if I bought one I wouldn't be
able to try it out until we go touring at a later date.
Have any got any thoughts or experiences with these Freview boxes?

TIA
Steve

You were done! There are lots of cheaper ones available these days.

Does it require mains? I believe there are some 12v models available which
are particularly suitable for caravans (if you also have a 12v telly) - so
that you're not dependent on having a mains hookup.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 14th 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

No I haven't bought it, I thought I'd see what other people's thoughts were
before I went ahead. I'll certainly stay clear as they're a lot cheaper
elsewhere.
Do they all pick up digital radio as well

Steve

Old January 14th 07, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:43:02 -0000, "Steve" sr2000{at}talk21{dot}com
wrote:

|Hi
|I noticed when I was in my local Lidl store yesterday, that they had
|Freeview boxes in stock for ?39.99. As I'm toying with the idea of buying a
|satellite dish and all the bits and pieces to go with it for the caravan, I
|thought this may be a cheaper option.

I have both but have had mixed results from both, All digital is either
there or not with very small in between poor reception areas.

Freeview http://www.freeview.co.uk/home is a terrestrial system and
requires a directional aerial unless you are *very* close to a transmitter.
I normally pitch miles form anywhere, in steep sided valleys or surrounded
by trees so freesat is often not available even with an amplifier.

It is a completely different beast from freesatfromsky
http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/ this requires a *sky* box and viewing card
at GBP20 which will probably last a few years. It will receive Ch4, Ch5
and Sky3. Both the FTV and FTA channels on
http://www.wickonline.com/fta.htm

Freesat uses a much cheaper generic satellite box a from Lidl, Maplin or
several other places it will not have the Sky EPG or receive Ch4, Ch5 or
Sky3 Again if you are in steep sided valleys or close to the north side of
trees your dish may not be able to see the satellites Astra*. Only the FTA
channels on http://www.wickonline.com/fta.htm

For both satellite systems see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/de.sullivan/

|At the moment we don't have Freeview
|in our area

Beg borrow or steal a box and *try* freeview

|but it seems to be available in almost all the areas that we
|tour, so if I bought one I wouldn't be able to try it out until we go
|touring at a later date.
|Have any got any thoughts or experiences with these Freview boxes?

More experienced people than I can be found on uk.tech.digital-tv

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sat Ch4, Ch5, only GBP20
http://www.freesatfromsky.com - "what is freesat?" - "view T&C" -
Old January 14th 07, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Steve" sr2000{at}talk21{dot}com wrote in message

Do they all pick up digital radio as well

If you mean the few radio stations that are on the Freeview TV system yes.

Please reply to News Group

Old January 14th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

In a CC club article last year portable aerials were reviewed and the IMAGE
530 - 18 was well rated for analogue and digital reception so I bought one.
Whilst previously we had difficulty with the van omindirectional aerial
(hardly ever picking up freeview) even our trusty old directional aerial
faired not much better. The 530 - 2 delivered excellent freeview reception
(in the same locations) . I should say that on advice I also extended our
aerial poles to 12ft.