Hitchdrive Caravan Mover

Old January 16th 07, 06:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

Default Hitchdrive Caravan Mover

Has anyone any experience of the Purpleline Hitchdrive Manual Caravan Mover
(http://www.hitchdrive.com/main.html)? I'm moving house soon and the
caravan will be in a more confined space. This would seem ideal to help
manoeuvre it without spending a fortune - but does it work???

Keith

Old January 16th 07, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Keith Dunbar (2) was thinking very hard :
Has anyone any experience of the Purpleline Hitchdrive Manual Caravan Mover
(http://www.hitchdrive.com/main.html)? I'm moving house soon and the caravan
will be in a more confined space. This would seem ideal to help manoeuvre it
without spending a fortune - but does it work???

Keith

You crank an handle at the top, which provides reduction drive to a
couple of wheels hi grip wheels. As there is not much weight on the
jockey wheel, they supply a bracket you can stand on - thus increasing
the weight/grip on the two wheels where needed. An arm swings out and
locks in place to enable the wheels to be steered. The crank lever fits
both the wheel drive and the normal jockey wheel jacking function.

How well do they work - pretty good for what they are, providing you
don't expect too much. Perfect for manouvering on the flat on good
ground, not so good on loose gravel or wet grass. Take the 'able to
push it up a 1 in 10' with a pinch of salt. They work much better
pushing up hill than trying to pull. They provide much more leverage
than the tyres have grip. The stand on bracket seems no better than
simply putting your foot and weight on the wheel.

My drive slope is probably a touch less than 1 in 10 and it doesn't
have the grip to push it up that, so I use a home made winch. Once up
the steepest part, I use the Hitchdrive. I could push it manually at
this point, but the Hitchdrive gives you perfect control of the
direction it takes and with a controlled speed of progress. If
necessary I can do the manouvering by myself - move it a bit, then go
look at clearances.

Once its finished with and you are on the road, they don't seem to have
put much thought into parking the handles adequately or protecting it
from the weather. I ended up wrapping a bungy cord around them to stop
them flapping and rattling, but it really needs some sort of cover.

Worth it - a qualified yes, unless you are willing to fork out for the
much more expensive powered main wheels and the extra weight. I wasn't
and for me this is a reasonable compromise.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old January 16th 07, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

IMHO its a waste of time. On a perfectly flat tarmac drive it will move the
van but on any incline or gravel mine is about as much use as a pork pie at
a Jewish Wedding. On wet grass even with the footplate it's as good as
nothing

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old January 16th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Keith Dunbar (2)" wrote in message
Has anyone any experience of the Purpleline Hitchdrive Manual Caravan
Mover (http://www.hitchdrive.com/main.html)? I'm moving house soon and
the caravan will be in a more confined space. This would seem ideal to
help manoeuvre it without spending a fortune - but does it work???

Keith

We have one and are very pleased with it. Yes, it takes some effort and
learning but it's easier than manhandling the van.

Our drive has a slope and once you understand the physics of the device,
that is to *push* the van up the hill (which goes against the grain!),
putting the weight onto the Hitchdrive, it works very well.

It's far, far cheaper than the built in ones or even the Powrwheel and
nowhere near as heavy.

Mary

Old January 16th 07, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that Tinkapace formulated :
IMHO its a waste of time. On a perfectly flat tarmac drive it will move the
van but on any incline or gravel mine is about as much use as a pork pie at a
Jewish Wedding. On wet grass even with the footplate it's as good as nothing

I made clear that it does have its limitations, but once you understand
them it has it still has its uses. I would not attempt to drive it
uphill on wet grass or gravel, because I know it will most certainly
slip. I tow it up, then use the hitchdrive to finalise the position.
Hooking up I use it to get it spot on over the tow ball, if I can't do
that I move elsewhere. I have not yet had to move elsewhere.

Old January 16th 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Point taken, however I have found it takes more effort to use the hitchdrive
than to push the caravan by hand, however on level ground it will work.
Also on level ground mywife can move the van where as without it she cannot.
Its just that personally I cant be bothered with it and think it is vastly
overpriced. I also think it has a couple of design faults, It's a bit like
akwrights till and will have your hand off with the spring loaded handle,
ampongst other things.

Old January 16th 07, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

"Tinkapace" wrote in message
. uk...
Point taken, however I have found it takes more effort to use the
hitchdrive than to push the caravan by hand, however on level ground it
will work. Also on level ground mywife can move the van where as without
it she cannot. Its just that personally I cant be bothered with it and
think it is vastly overpriced. I also think it has a couple of design
faults, It's a bit like akwrights till and will have your hand off with
the spring loaded handle, ampongst other things.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD
Regulated and directly authorised by the FSA (302528)
Home, Life,Travel,Caravan & Pet Insurance, stand alone sickness &
redundancy cover, & all types of Mortgages.

Having a 17' van I'm neither willing or able to push it by hand. I don't
have a slope - it's just manoeuvring in a tight spot I'm after help with.
It sounds as if it might well do the business. Many thanks to all for all
the really helpful feedback.

Keith

Old January 16th 07, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar

"Tinkapace" wrote in message
. uk...
Point taken, however I have found it takes more effort to use the
hitchdrive than to push the caravan by hand, however on level ground it
will work. Also on level ground mywife can move the van where as without
it she cannot. Its just that personally I cant be bothered with it and
think it is vastly overpriced. I also think it has a couple of design
faults, It's a bit like akwrights till and will have your hand off with
the spring loaded handle, ampongst other things.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD
Regulated and directly authorised by the FSA (302528)
Home, Life,Travel,Caravan & Pet Insurance, stand alone sickness &
redundancy cover, & all types of Mortgages.

Meant to say, I gather it also does the normal jockey wheel function of
raising and lowering the hitch, which I also find a bit of a struggle at
times. Do people find it helpful in that respect?

Keith

Old January 16th 07, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Keith Dunbar formulated the question :
"Tinkapace" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

It will handle the 17', mine is a 15' 6".

It does do the raising/ lowering of a standard jockey wheel. It seems
to be quite similarly geared for raising and lowering as a standard
jockey wheel. One point missed, is the fact that the double wheel comes
off - you replace it with a blanking dust cap for travelling and stick
the wheels in a bag in the boot.