Heads-up LED stop/Tail lamps

Old January 18th 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

Default Heads-up LED stop/Tail lamps

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 00:33:12 +0000, Neil
wrote:

Might be useful for experimentation purposes.

My local Netto is selling 12 LED cluster, standard bayonet fitting
stop/tail lamps for 1.99 each. According to the latest leaflet they
also have amber LED indicator lamps, but I couldn't find those. Will
have a look again tomorrow.

I fancy trying a pair in both the car and the caravan. Netto are also
selling 5 LED head torches also for 1.99

Neil

I do not know of any car bulb replacement LED's on the after market
that are road legal, they do not comply with side visability
requrerments they have a very narrow angle of view.

Lenny
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk

Old January 19th 07, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On 19 Jan 2007 09:13:05 -0800, "John"
wrote:

I do not know of any car bulb replacement LED's on the after market
that are road legal, they do not comply with side visability
requrerments they have a very narrow angle of view.

Lenny

I'm not saying aftermarket LED's are legal because they will probably
invalidate the E standard. However, wide angle ones are available from
Ultraleds. Examples are he
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_i...8ee50f5c40d91f
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_i...8ee50f5c40d91f
I use LED's in side lights so that I can leave the lights on should I
have to park in an unlit area. The low power consumption delays the
flat battery problem.

John

Sounds like a good idea for the sidelights I wouldn't recommend them
for tail & indicators.

Lenny

Dark evenings - want better visability
Fit Osram Silver Star Headlamp Bulbs
50% Brighter beam, 20m Longer beam

Old January 20th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Sounds like a good idea for the sidelights I wouldn't recommend them
for tail & indicators.

Lenny

I've fitted some 3W ones to my stop/tail lights. Tail light brightness
looks about the same as a normal bulb. Stop light may be slightly less
bright. It's a close thing though. we're not talking huge differences
here. The results may be different with different cars as the lenses
could have different characteristics. The red LED's are a deeper red
than the normal bulbs and that makes comparisons difficult. I will be
keeping the LED's though.

I've also fitted white LED's in the front sidelights. They have a
blueish tint. Again this makes comparisons difficult. The light output
may be slightly less but it's more noticable to my eyes anyway. Again I
shall keep them as I can leave them on when parked which I can't do for
so long with the normal bulbs.

I take your point about side view of the lights. On my car (and most
others I've seen) the side and tail light lenses are prismatic so they
disperse the light to the side anyway. Again on my car, there's no
noticable difference to the side of the car.

I may try them in my wifes car but that's less critical as I've fitted
a large capacity battery in there from the diesel version. That's not
available for my car and the existing battery is the biggest that will
fit.

The caravan may be worth looking at as well but that does far less
miles so again is less of an issue. It's also very big and very white
so tends to stand out on its own.

John

Old January 20th 07, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Neil expressed precisely :
Might be useful for experimentation purposes.

My local Netto is selling 12 LED cluster, standard bayonet fitting
stop/tail lamps for 1.99 each. According to the latest leaflet they
also have amber LED indicator lamps, but I couldn't find those. Will
have a look again tomorrow.

I fancy trying a pair in both the car and the caravan.

For anyone thinking of buying them be aware that the stop/tail lights
are red LED's and very directional, both features would preclude their
use where your stop/tail light is used to also illuminate the number
plate. I bought four and the above will not be a problem. As the LED's
draw less current, the voltage drop will be slightly less and the LED
lamps hopefully that bit brighter than filament lamps.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old January 21st 07, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

For anyone thinking of buying them be aware that the stop/tail lights
are red LED's and very directional, both features would preclude their
use where your stop/tail light is used to also illuminate the number
plate. I bought four and the above will not be a problem. As the LED's
draw less current, the voltage drop will be slightly less and the LED
lamps hopefully that bit brighter than filament lamps.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Harry,
Both problems can be solved by using white wide angle type and relying
on the red lense to convert the colour as a normal bulb does. There's a
variety he
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.p... 7b730bd89403a
If you want to be really clever, try the combined red/white ones he
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm
I've never tried these but they're supplied for classic cars and bikes
that use a combined tail/No plate light. I don't know how they would
work in a more modern light unit. Personally I would go with the first
option.
The LED market is growing rapidly these days. New products seem to be
available every week or so. Brightness can still be an issue but the
light output is growing all the time.

John

Old January 21st 07, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

John has brought this to us :
For anyone thinking of buying them be aware that the stop/tail lights
are red LED's and very directional, both features would preclude their
use where your stop/tail light is used to also illuminate the number
plate. I bought four and the above will not be a problem. As the LED's
draw less current, the voltage drop will be slightly less and the LED
lamps hopefully that bit brighter than filament lamps.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Harry,
Both problems can be solved by using white wide angle type and relying
on the red lense to convert the colour as a normal bulb does. There's a
variety he
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.p... 7b730bd89403a
If you want to be really clever, try the combined red/white ones he

Thanks, but I was already well aware of the alternatives sources. I was
just pointing out potential problems with the bargain Netto ones.