Inside storage vs caravan covers.

Old January 20th 07, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Draper

Default Inside storage vs caravan covers.

Hi, all

About to pick up a new caravan, and am wondering about the best way of
keeping it looking pristine. Our previous caravan got covered in algae
while stored over winter - a real PITA to clean every spring, & I
suspect that the combination of algae & cleaning didn't do much for the
paintwork.

Options I've so far considered are moving from outdoor storage to indoor
(outdoor is 50/quarter, indoor is 90), or buying a cover (probably
around 100).

I've heard it suggested that covers reduce the risk of theft - is there
any evidence to support this?

The van has a chimney-type heater outlet and a status aerial on the
roof. I guess I'd have to remove these before fitting a cover.

Any other pros/cons of covers? Any recommendations or warnings about
particular makes / types of covers?

TIA

--
Mike

(remove socks before sending email)
Old January 22nd 07, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

We run an indoor CaSSOA Gold Accredited storage site in the Lake
District. We find that many people are now choosing to store indoors.
You may find if you shop around that it is possible to get storage
cheaper than 90/quarter, we don't charge that much!

As well as concerns over algae, you'll also limit the risk of moisture
ingress, and if you find a reputable site via CaSSOA, limit risk of
vermin problems too.

In view of the recent high winds, we've seen some of new business
coming in, which is very unusual for this time of year!

There's no doubt, a caravan cover would be cheaper, but it will only
protect against some of the problems you face. If you're also looking
to reduce risk of theft, damage by extreme weather etc, you may find
it's worth locating a local CaSSOA indoor site.
http://www.cassoa.co.uk/Search.aspx

I hope that helps!

Regards

Phil