OT 2-way radios

Old July 8th 03, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KGS

Default OT 2-way radios

Hi,
Seem to remember posts about radios a while back.

One of our pair of Goodman's has gone intermittent, so looked around for
replacement, these had been over 80 a pair at Argos when new.
Found at Maplins they have the Audio model singly at 19-99 each.
Both these are the better ones with the extra privacy channels,
rechargeable batteries and chargers. Not to be confused with cheap ones
with normal battery power and 8 basic channels.

Please reply to News Group.

We bought ours from Makro last year the cost was 39.99 they are made by
NTL. We used them on our way to the Vendee last year. We wouldn't be without
them now.

Keith

Old July 10th 03, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

"KGS" . wrote in message ...
Hi,
Seem to remember posts about radios a while back.

One of our pair of Goodman's has gone intermittent, so looked around for
replacement, these had been over 80 a pair at Argos when new.
Found at Maplins they have the Audio model singly at 19-99 each.
Both these are the better ones with the extra privacy channels,
rechargeable batteries and chargers. Not to be confused with cheap

ones
with normal battery power and 8 basic channels.

Please reply to News Group.

We bought ours from Makro last year the cost was 39.99 they are made by
NTL. We used them on our way to the Vendee last year. We wouldn't be

without
them now.

Keith

Aldi had some on one of their special offers a week or so back at 24.99 a
pair. I was in an Aldi last weekend in Manchester and they still had quite a
few left.

Ian

Old July 10th 03, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Ian McFarlane" wrote in message news:JR9Pa.48117

Aldi had some on one of their special offers a week or so back at 24.99 a
pair. I was in an Aldi last weekend in Manchester and they still had quite

few left.

Check they have the extra 38 privacy codes (CTCSS), and if rechargeable
battries included and charger. Would imagine expensive to run on normal
batteries, maybe a set a day if on all day.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 10th 03, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=64325 looks
| like the charger only at a lower price. They have plenty of batteries on
| offer.

That seems to be the very same charger I mentioned and very good they
are too. 7dayshop seem to be selling them without the 4x NiMH (judging
by the illustration), but at half what I paid it is still well worth it
without them.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old July 12th 03, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

T i m wrote in
:

I did buy an 'Inteligent' discharger / charger (4 position, AAA-D,
each position individually controlled) but it makes the smaller sized
(AAA-AA) cells quite hot during charge (the sort of hot you can't
comfortably hold in a clenched fist?).

FWIW, my other hobby is racing model cars. For that sport, I use a Pro
Peak Super Nova charger that can charge NiCd and NiMH up to 12 cells and
lead-acid up to 12v. I has peak sensing so can determine peak charge,
which lets it automatically shut off charging at the optimum time. It's
wonderful for recharging batteries from PMR446 radios, digital cameras,
torches, etc. However, at 84 it's overkill for just caravanning.

Racing electric model cars gives an insight into battery care. At the
racetrack, we use fans to keep the cells cool under charge and some even
hang the cells in front of the air-conditioning outlets in their cars. A
small fan such as one from an old computer CPU is very effective. The
difference between doing that and charging in still air on a hot day can
be double the charge (say 3000mAh when cooled instead of 1500mAh in still
air). The heating you notice increases the cell resistance and too much
heat damages the cells. FWIW, many model racers won't use cells that have
"cooked" in that way.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane