Caravan Tyre pressure

Old January 26th 07, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Default Caravan Tyre pressure

The tyre pressure recommended for my (single axle) is 65psi. Thats now
common in new vans and reflects the increasing van weights I am told but is
a massive increase in tyre pressure to the previous (several) vans I have
had. One assumes the theory/practice of increased pressures has been well
researched and tested but despite dealer assurances I admit to concern as to
what effect that pressure will have if the tyre punctures (say blows out).
Anyone share that concern or have experienced say a punture with such a tyre
?

Old January 26th 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:49:07 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

|The tyre pressure recommended for my (single axle) is 65psi. Thats now
|common in new vans and reflects the increasing van weights I am told but is
|a massive increase in tyre pressure to the previous (several) vans I have
|had. One assumes the theory/practice of increased pressures has been well
|researched and tested but despite dealer assurances I admit to concern as to
|what effect that pressure will have if the tyre punctures (say blows out).
|Anyone share that concern or have experienced say a punture with such a tyre

Fit Tyron bands http://www.tyron.com/
and if you are insured with CCC get 10% off your insurance premium
Old January 26th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Mike wrote:

The tyre pressure recommended for my (single axle) is 65psi. Thats now
common in new vans and reflects the increasing van weights I am told but is
a massive increase in tyre pressure to the previous (several) vans I have
had. One assumes the theory/practice of increased pressures has been well
researched and tested but despite dealer assurances I admit to concern as to
what effect that pressure will have if the tyre punctures (say blows out).
Anyone share that concern or have experienced say a punture with such a tyre
?

One of my concerns is the minimal clearance around the wheel to
the flimsy plastic wheel arch on my new van. If the tyre shreds,
it could do lots of damage. I had a few interesting blowouts on
my (very) old van, but the structure was never at risk.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old January 26th 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Mike" wrote in message
The tyre pressure recommended for my (single axle) is 65psi. Thats now
common in new vans and reflects the increasing van weights I am told but
is a massive increase in tyre pressure to the previous (several) vans I
have had. One assumes the theory/practice of increased pressures has been
well researched and tested but despite dealer assurances I admit to
concern as to what effect that pressure will have if the tyre punctures
(say blows out). Anyone share that concern or have experienced say a
punture with such a tyre ?

To cope with the increased weights, the tyres are commercial vehicle units,
and if they are run at less than optimum pressure, they will fail due to
overheating.

A 'blow out' is usually a side wall failure. The shredding of the tyre
occurs because the deflation has not been noticed, and the tyre either comes
off the rim, or overheats to destruction.

The only time I have sen a tyre fail in the tread area is when an old tyre
delaminated. This would have been picked up as cracking during an
inspection, or tyre pressure check.

I am sure everyone on here is experienced and sensible enough to check their
caravan tyre pressures before setting out, but others are less sensible.

The question of wheel arch trims being close to the wheel is a legeslative
one in some cases. The vans are now approaching the maximum possible width.
Increasing the width of the arch could take a caravan over the legal
maximum. If the wheels were brought further inboard, I am sure owners would
complain of the waste of space with wheel boxes encroaching into storage
areas/fridge areas.

Would you rather have a 100 litre fridge or a 77 litre fridge and the wheels
further away from the arch. Most folk would want more space for cold beer,
and make regular checks of their tyre condition.

Cheers

Old January 27th 07, 05:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

I had a few interesting blowouts on
my (very) old van, but the structure was never at risk.

What were you doing with it? In 30 years towing, I've only ever had one
deflation on a caravan, and I can't remember the last one I had on a car.

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

Old January 27th 07, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Budgie wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

I had a few interesting blowouts on
my (very) old van, but the structure was never at risk.

What were you doing with it? In 30 years towing, I've only ever had one
deflation on a caravan, and I can't remember the last one I had on a car.

A couple of them happened on the same journey some time after
passing through roadworks that had an end ramp more like a
doorstep. Replaced the first one myself, but had to get the AA
for the second.

Perhaps, when I think back there has only been one other in 30
years.

Each time the tyre was totally shredded, so there was nothing to
examine to determine the cause.

Always had the right tyres, replaced in plenty of time and
correctly inflated.

Chris

Old January 27th 07, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Chris J Dixon presented the following explanation :
One of my concerns is the minimal clearance around the wheel to
the flimsy plastic wheel arch on my new van. If the tyre shreds,
it could do lots of damage. I had a few interesting blowouts on
my (very) old van, but the structure was never at risk.

Chris

A few?

In forty years and many thousands of miles, I have only ever had one go
and that was a simple rapid deflation due to a nail.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old January 27th 07, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 09:05:04 GMT, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Budgie wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

I had a few interesting blowouts on
my (very) old van, but the structure was never at risk.

What were you doing with it? In 30 years towing, I've only ever had one
deflation on a caravan, and I can't remember the last one I had on a car.

A couple of them happened on the same journey some time after
passing through roadworks that had an end ramp more like a
doorstep. Replaced the first one myself, but had to get the AA
for the second.

Perhaps, when I think back there has only been one other in 30
years.

Each time the tyre was totally shredded, so there was nothing to
examine to determine the cause.

Always had the right tyres, replaced in plenty of time and
correctly inflated.

I've had 2 go over the years both times it did extensive damage to the
van.

Lenny

Dark evenings - want better visability
Fit Osram Silver Star Headlamp Bulbs
50% Brighter beam, 20m Longer beam

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Old January 28th 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

I ought to have realised there would be higher pressures in commercial
vehicle tyres - shows how little I know about them. I had a significant
tyre failure on a van, some years ago, which wasnt too much of a problem
except where it occured. I suspect it had much to do with the age of the
tyre. As a result I do keep a close eye on tyres (in addition to the annual
dealer service) and based on various advice renew after the fifth season. I
remain in two minds about Tyron Bands albeit Ive met quite a few vanners who
wouldnt be without them.

Old January 28th 07, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"Mike" wrote in message
I remain in two minds about Tyron Bands albeit Ive met quite a few
vanners who wouldnt be without them.

Yes, I've just been offered Tyron bands on a new Bailey for 120 fitted.

Does the team think I should have them fitted, or are they just another
gimmick?

Money's tight - especially after buying the Bailey!